Hi

@AnnaDickson 

So great explanation.

😎👌

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THOSE ON THE SAME MISSION AS YOU
Osama Zaina
Level 7

Re: How to post great videos on Google Maps

Hello @AnnaDickson@ErmesT, and @PaulPavlinovich. How's going?
I was looking for guidance regarding uploading videos into my reviews of Google Maps since I'm having some difficulties to do it: via mobile(iOS), it shows only the option to upload photos and via Desktop(Mac), it generates an error "An error occurred. Please try again later." every single time I attempt(different days, different browsers, etc).

So, it seems to be some policy and/or restriction that would great if it's clarified. Especially because after searching this topic here in the forum, there are maaany ones reporting the same or similar issues. And even consulting the official Google Maps Help article, it doesn't say much(neither answer any of the questions below). In addition, this post is from 2017, so maybe it's good timing to update and clarify what are the current rules.

Based on that, I would suggest a few questions to help all Local Guides:

1) Upload video to Google Maps is restricted to specific video formats(extensions)?

2) Upload video to Google Maps via mobile is restricted to Android?

3) Upload video to Google Maps requires videos only on vertical?

4) What is the length-limit to upload a video on Google Maps? (on the details of this topic it says: direct from Google Maps camera is 10sec and to upload is 30 seconds, but one of the examples in the post has 58sec)

Could you help us with that information, please? Thank you in advance!🙂👍🏼

Level 7

this is awesome, but there's a length restriction right? 

I think it was only for 59 secs.

Connect Moderator

Hi @HenriqueOrsi 

1) Upload video to Google Maps is restricted to specific video formats(extensions)? 2) Upload video to Google Maps via mobile is restricted to Android? 3) Upload video to Google Maps requires videos only on vertical? 4) What is the length-limit to upload a video on Google Maps?

1. My experimentation suggests mpeg/mp4 only is allowed

2. I've not heard of any restriction, I've only done it from Android

3. Yes only vertical videos on Maps

4. Minimum 10 seconds max 60 seconds (note Maps will just trim at 60)

Regards Paul

Level 7

Hi @PaulPavlinovich. In my scenario, I was trying with iOS, video in landscape and .mov extension. haha Pretty much all different. I will try a vertical one to see if it works because if there is no restriction for using iOS, shouldn't be to .mov extension.

Would you know if we can get official information about those parameters/details?

Connect Moderator

You can do it from iPhone @HenriqueOrsi refer to https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2622947?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en&oco=1

They're always a bit coy about details like exact formats. We tend to learn by experience that some things work and some things don't.

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich 

I have all my videos of places in Landscape mode and most of them from my GPS Camera.

I have copied the video from my Android phone also to my Desktop and deleted from the phone memory.

Can I upload the videos to Maps from my Desktop Computer? Please clarify 

In some cases when I uploaded direct from my Android Phone in the Landscape mode;

it was accepted and 7 points was displayed.

Dhanasekaran
Connect Moderator

Hi @Dhanasekaran_Muthu landscape mode isn't rejected but portrait is preferred.

As for the ones on your computer, that's easy you can upload them to photos.google.com and share them directly from there which I think does work from desktop. On the off chance it doesn't you will be able to access the videos from your phone and share them from there.

Paul

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich 

Thanks dear Paul for your clarifications.

I find it comfortable for eyes too to post from my computer on transfering the files from my Android Mobile Phone.  

Dhanasekaran