Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: How to make great edits on Google Maps

Hola @Briggs, ya está optimizado el proceso de validación de alta de nuevos lugares, ahora podrás aportar sin inconvenientes siempre y cuando cumpla con las reglas que existen.

Aqui puedes leer sobre su corrección.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/An-Update-on-the-Map-Edits-Review-Process/m...

@Rodrigo_P, muchas gracias por un excelente post, donde compartes muy buenos consejos para todos los Local Guides 👏👍🙂

saludos Farid.

Level 6

I think one thing to point out is to verify acceptable spellings for English names compared to Cantonese/Chinese. I am sure this applies to other languages as well.

I've fixed locations in Hong Kong because they were just misspelled. Like Sai Wan Ho was written in Cantonese phonetics even though buildings and maps have the Sai Wan Ho spelling.

Level 10

Thanks @GusMoreira that you acknowledged it.

We know the moderation system isn't perfect. The four examples illustrated there reached a pending status, and for some reason they were all not applied in time despite how obvious it was. But I have attempted those four edits once again, and two of them have been approved and two of them once again reached the pending status.

I can vouch and witness for a massive improvement in the algorithm, so I'm glad and probably won't be talking about incorrect edits for a while, unless they require Googler intervention. Everything seems okay now.

Level 10

I have a problem (kinda)

There was a KFC restaurant in a Shopping Mall, on the second floor. It is closed and looks like that now:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.16.12 PM.png

But on the first flour on the opposite side of the Shopping Mall opens a new KFC restaurant, entrance from the street, looks like that:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.20.34 PM.png

Completely different places. 

But when I try to add a new POI with photos of a new interior, the system keeps merging my contributions with an old place! 

Can you help me?

Googler

@RonneBD wrote:

@Rodrigo_P

Thanks for the post you made 

I think categories should be changed or updated, because there are too many categories absent in categories list. I think there should be a other option to enter new category name. 

As in Bangladesh there is no Gas Station and those are known as filling station. 

Medicine Shop is known known as Pharmacy. 

Hi @RonneBD,

Thank you for your feedback . Category names will depend on the country you are in and the language you have set on your Google Maps.

For example, "Pharmacy" may appear as "Drug Store" or appear as "Chemist". 

The team is aware that the list not fully complete and that there are some cultural nuances that should be taken into account. It's in the roadmap of the team to make improvements on this front.  Stay tuned!

Level 9

thanks for sharing. i already use the same method. it's just a shame that most edits and business creations are being rejected right away only to find out couple days later that the business you were trying to add were created

Googler

@YK1001 wrote:

Thank you very much for the clarification, @Rodrigo_P!

Is the Attributes section specific to GMB dashboard also?

From time to time, I find address having Chinese words un-translated while using Maps in English.  Do you have further advice for us, so that we can help to avoid this from happening?

For Example:

https://goo.gl/maps/g28Rj1WM1fm

Address when viewed in English Maps: Ap Lei Chau, 鴨脷洲大街49-55號(6號舖)

Address when viewed in Traditioanl Chinese Maps: 鴨脷洲鴨脷洲大街49-55號(6號舖)

When we encounter POIs like this, should we wait for Maps to fix the translation in the backend by itself, or we should edit the address in English directly?

Hi @YK1001,

Thank you for your inputs.  Yes, the attributes section it's specific to the GMB dashboard. 

Regarding the translation issue , I will escalate it to the team so that they can take a look and see if it's a broader issue so that a fix can be implemented . Please note that this may take some time so I ask you for your patience. 

Thank you for flagging this and for helping us make a better Google Maps for everyone.

Level 10

@Rodrigo_P wrote:

@RonneBD wrote:

@Rodrigo_P

Thanks for the post you made 

I think categories should be changed or updated, because there are too many categories absent in categories list. I think there should be a other option to enter new category name. 

As in Bangladesh there is no Gas Station and those are known as filling station. 

Medicine Shop is known known as Pharmacy. 

Hi @RonneBD,

Thank you for your feedback . Category names will depend on the country you are in and the language you have set on your Google Maps.

For example, "Pharmacy" may appear as "Drug Store" or appear as "Chemist". 

The team is aware that the list not fully complete and that there are some cultural nuances that should be taken into account. It's in the roadmap of the team to make improvements on this front.  Stay tuned!

Hi @Rodrigo_P regarding categories, may we use this KB as reference? 

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177/?hl=en#categories

From here you can find this useful spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QhWFmHYhZI7FL7cQZUqkDkRbexPVthEIfp8iibhA3s/edit?usp=sharing

Sometimes, to select the right category, I change language, so I can find the correct category.

Googler

@Budisoft wrote:

Hi @Rodrigo_P,

Thank you for your information.

Some business add categories in display name like ***** hotel, **** store, **** restaurant.

In the name field, Do we fill it like in display name (name + category) or just name?

Regards

Budi

Hi @Budisoft,

You should always fill the business’ real-world name, as used consistently on it's storefront, website, stationery, and as known to customers. Don't include service information, unless this information is part of its real world representation or this information is needed to identify a department within a business . Service information is best represented by categories.

Eligible examples : Apple Store, Palace Hotel, Hard Rock Cafe

Non Eligible examples : IKEA store, Grand Hyatt San Francisco Hotel, KFC Restaurant, 

Hope it helps clarifying. 

Thank you

Googler

Hi @YerlanB,

The best way to proceed in this case it's to mark the previous POI as "moved" by using the "suggest an edit" feature that you will find on the place sheet. Then you will we prompted to add the new address of the business so that the information it's correctly updated.

Thank you,