Sangamesh-P-H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to add names of place in regional language?

Hello Team,

I am trying to find a way to add regional/ local language names to places in Karnataka. The regional language is Kannada. At least for major cities the name should be in Kannada and English. Let me know how to do it.

Example - Bengaluru ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು 

Thanks,

-/Sammi

Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
7 comments
Level 10

Re: How to add names of place in regional language?

Hi you need to use Maps Desktop, switch to the desired language using the menu option ☰ then edit the place adding the name in the desired language.

Previously we were enabled to do this using Mapmaker.

Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I tried to do as you mentioned. But I dont see "edit" option.

Is there something I am missing?

Level 10

Level 2

Exactly, this works only for particular business/ shop names. But my question is more of Place name.

Please see below map. For bengaluru, the name is only in English but not in regional language - Kannada.

blr.PNG

But for Delhi, it is in mentioned in both English and Hindi.

delhi.PNG

Can i know how I can do this for all place names?

Thanks,

-/Sammi

Level 10

I'm sorry, actually the only way is the workaround i mentioned.

Previously this was achieved through Google Mapmaker, now dismissed.

Level 2

Ah, is there anyway we get this feature back?

It will help lot of people in Karnataka.

Level 8

Hi @Sangamesh-P-H,

When you need someone's attention to a thread, directly mention the person at the thread is must more effective for you and for that person.

It is by type '@' then following by the user's name, and choose the person from the pop up list.

First of all, if you do not find "Suggest an edit" for a place, it means we as LGs cannot edit them.  For issues to places like this, you can always use "Send Feedback" in Maps to report them.

For places you can edit, then you can see my post To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages .  The procedures are using Mobile Maps as example.  But you can do in Desktop Maps, just using  @LucioV's advice on how to switch Language for Desktop Maps.  Of course, you need to handle the language specific input method of your computer separately.

Hope it helps!