YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages

I first noticed Maps started to support input of Place Names in Multiple Languages in Nov 2016.

After 9 months, I find the feature is quite stable, and Places with Multiple Language Names are more abundant.

For example, to add a Chinese name to a Place.  We need to see the Name Input Field that is expecting Chinese input, like this: 
Name Edit with Multiple LanguagesName Edit with Multiple Languages

• The 1st Input Field said "Input English Name"
  • The 2ndInput Field said "Input Chinese (Taiwan) Name"

If we look at the same POI in English, the same screen only have the English Name field:

Name edit screen in EnglishName edit screen in English

Tip 1:  To enter the Place name in a specific language, switch Maps to that Language

(Please see this post if you need help to switch language in Desktop Maps.)

1.  Open Desktop Maps, and switch to Chinese Language

2.  Open this POI, Choose Suggest an Edit

Place Card in Chinese TaiwanPlace Card in Chinese Taiwan

3.  Click Suggest an Edit

POI Edit screen in Chinese TaiwanPOI Edit screen in Chinese Taiwan

3.  Click on the Place Name.  The existing name "Anna's Wonderland" is pre-populated in the first input field.  While the 2nd field is for Chinese Taiwan which is empty.

Chinese Taiwan field shown below existing nameChinese Taiwan field shown below existing name

4.  Let's remove the existing Name.  Then we can find out that name is in the English field.  

• Don't worry.  When we put the input cursor into the 2nd input field, then back to the 1st input field, the original name will reappear.

We can find out which Language the Place Name is in by removing the name.We can find out which Language the Place Name is in by removing the name.

5.  Now, we can put the correct name in the correct language input field as needed.

• Of course, you need to switch the Input Method in your Computer / Device to do that.
  • Click on Submit when done.

Please note:

• Please switch Maps to the Language you want to use before calling out the Name Editing screen
  • Following this procedures repeatedly with different Languages, we can enter Place Name in multiple Languages
  • We should always put the Place Name to the correct Language Box.
  • We should NEVER enter mixed Languages into the same Language Field
  • If we are viewing Maps in Engilsh, but the Place do not have an English Name, then Maps might use the Category and auto-translate to English.  Similar will apply when we are viewing Maps in different languages
  • If you are using Mobile, we have to switch Language using the Mobile OS's setting screen.  Then, at least on Android 6 and 7, we need to close Maps and open Maps again for the Language Change to take effect.

I am writing the above from my personal observations.  Please feel free to suggest corrections.

Hope it helps!

32 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages

Level 5

Recommend that this discussion be pinned to the top of this forum

Level 10

Multi language

When adding a missing place, it would be convenient to be able to add the place name in two languages, or is there a way to do this already ? When suggesting edits there is usually a second name field, but not when adding a new place ,

Thanks 

Level 8

Re: Multi language

Hai @Mjyates read this content by connect moderator about adding names in multiple languages https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/How-do-I/To-enter-Place-Name-in-Multiple-Languages/td-p/423477

Level 8

Hai @YK1001 Thanks for sharing this great information. I'm also searching for how to add multiple language names

Level 8

Hi @JimB,

Thank you very much!

This thread is being "featured" in this "How do I"  board.  Yes, I would like this to be even more visible to more fellow LGs.

Level 10

@arjunsbmp wrote:

Hai @Mjyates read this content by connect moderator about adding names in multiple languages https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/How-do-I/To-enter-Place-Name-in-Multiple-Languages/td-p/423477

Yes thanks for this reply. This does work for editing an existing name but not when adding a missing place ?

Level 6

This was very helpful. Thanks for the advice. 

Level 8

Hi @Mjyates,

Yes, when we are adding a missing place, we can only enter the name in one language.

We need to add any extra language names after the place is published.