AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

How this vegan Local Guide helps others dine out

Caption: A collage of images and illustrations including a photo of Local Guide Nanda Curry holding a slice of watermelon over her head, illustrations of fruit, and a photo of fruit salad.Caption: A collage of images and illustrations including a photo of Local Guide Nanda Curry holding a slice of watermelon over her head, illustrations of fruit, and a photo of fruit salad.Local Guides Spotlight is a Connect series that celebrates members of our community who are making a positive impact. 

Dining out when you have a dietary restriction is still no easy feat at many restaurants all over the world. It can be challenging to figure out what dishes on the menu you can eat, then when you do find something, it often isn’t much.

Local Guide Nanda Cury knows firsthand how hard it is to find a great dish when you’re dining with a dietary restriction. So, she tries to help others like her through the reviews and photos she shares on Google Maps.

Nanda, who lives in São Paulo, Brazil, has eaten a vegan diet for the past six years. More specifically, she fruitarian, which means she prefers to eat mostly raw fruits.

Food is particularly a great passion of mine. I enjoy activities such as fruit hunting, food styling, learning, and creating raw vegan recipes with fresh fruits, nuts, and veggies,” she told us. “And I love making videos about my food because it’s so easy to do and allows more opportunities for others to give it a try!”

We recently caught up with Nanda to learn more about her passion for food and helping others.

Why did you sign up to be a Local Guide?

I’ve always loved writing reviews and recommending places to my friends, especially vegan restaurants, art museums, and travelling experiences.

What has your experience as a Local Guide been like so far?
My experience as a Local Guide has been awesome! I love getting feedback from the reviews that I write and knowing that the photos that I have posted are helping people. The program is growing so I want to learn more ways to share content that can help to spread the word about vegan restaurants and people finding fresh fruits near to them.

Caption: A photo of a grey bowl filled with strawberries, pieces of kiwis, and another star-shaped fruit from BotaniKafé in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Nanda Cury)Caption: A photo of a grey bowl filled with strawberries, pieces of kiwis, and another star-shaped fruit from BotaniKafé in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Nanda Cury)

You often review vegan dishes on Google Maps. Why do you think it’s important to help others find great places to get vegan food?

Veganism is growing fast in the world because more people are aware and concerned about the consequences of eating animals and animal products. When one decides to go vegan, it can be very challenging to learn about vegan food and what to order as a vegan when you go to a regular restaurant. That’s why I am focused on sharing simple tips such as “how to order vegan food anywhere” and what are my favorite vegan restaurants.  

What is your favorite way to contribute on Google Maps and how often do you contribute?
My favorite way to contribute on Google Maps is by sharing my impression of a place and by adding good photos of food. This is the kind of content that I like to see when I am searching for places to eat. I try to post whenever I have access to wifi, especially when Google reminds me that I have been to a place and prompts me to share my experience about it.

What are some of your favorite restaurants with great vegan food options?

My favorite raw vegan restaurant in São Paulo a tiny one. It is called Laut and you can watch a video of it on my YouTube channel. I was one of their first customers, have included them on Google Maps, tried all their dishes, and uploaded most of the photos that have been posted about them on Google Maps.

Apart from that, I have created a map of my favorite vegan restaurants in São Paulo. It needs an update since I have been more focused on reviewing places that offer raw vegan food, but that are not necessarily vegan restaurants. I also created a list of restaurants in São Paulo that offer at least one vegan option on their menu.

Caption: A photo of a beet soup in a white bowl at Loud in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Nanda Cury)Caption: A photo of a beet soup in a white bowl at Loud in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Nanda Cury)

What does being beauty conscious mean to you?

Six years ago, by the time I went vegan, there were very few products on the shelves that were cruelty free and vegan. So, that made me buy less products and be more aware of the ingredients on the label. By that time, I didn't know that most of the beauty and personal care products contains ingredients such as preservatives, fragrances, and heavy metals that are potentially hazardous for the people and also for the environment. So, it’s been awhile that I have been studying and sharing information to raise awareness on this matter to help women make more informed decisions when purchasing beauty products and personal care cosmetics.

I believe that information empowers people making better decisions for themselves, for the animals and for the planet. My aim is to share daily content to show that it is possible to buy less and focus on more sustainable products and that they are more effective when you take care of what you eat first.

How do you hope your contributions on Google Maps will make a positive impact for others who see them?

Apart from the vegan restaurants, I want to start sharing about fruit tree locations and community gardens that I have been mapping. This way, people can find free food along their way and be more connected to nature. Finding out about fruit trees is really cool when you live in a concrete city, like São Paulo, where people usually have a poor connection to the nature.

To learn more about Nanda, check out her YouTube channel and blog. What helpful information do you wish more people included in their reviews? Tell us in the comments below!

18 comments
Level 9

Re: How this vegan Local Guide helps others dine out

Healthy post @AriMar Thank you for sharing with us...

Level 10

I'm absolutely non vegan, but I find very interesting the work of this Local Guide 🙂

Thanks for featuring her!

Level 7

great post @AriMar thank you

Level 10

I definitely like to be vegan. Even I was vegetarian for about two years but I left because of current conditions in my life and nearly expensiveness of full energy vegetarian life specially in Iran. Now I'm semi-vegetarian and hope have this ability to be full vegetarian again asap.

So I respect and like all vegetarians and specially vegans. And paying attention to this matter in Google Maps and Local Guides program is really valuable.

Thanks for sharing

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 9

thanks for sharing this yummy post @AriMar! and many thanks to Nanda 🙂

i love fruits and vegetables

sometimes i go vegan to lose some weight 😄 

Level 9

Bls: How this vegan Local Guide helps others dine out

Halo @AriMar terima kasih kasih anda telah berbagi informasi penting tentang makanan vegan dari pengalaman seorang Local Guide Nanda Cury. Saya pikir makanan vegan ini sedang trend karena banyak manusia zaman sekarang telah sadar bahwa makanan vegan sangat penting untuk kesehatan. Semoga pengelola kuliner kedepan memperhatikan akan kebutuhan konsumen 

Lera76
Level 9

@AriMar a very wonderful and inspiring post! Thank you!

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 7

very helpful post for those who are Dining out

Level 5

This was really thoughtful and so well put. I truly enjoyed the authenticity that came through.  Great work