metramo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

How can I add a walking and bicycle track to google maps ?

I bike and walking path is missing, how can i add it ?

Massy Palaiseau, Massy, France
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How can I add a walking and bicycle track to google maps ?

You can't do it directly @metramo but you can report a problem with Maps within the App and describe the issue and include a link to where the Googlers can find the information.

Level 3

Well actually I got into some dit mode, added the bike track and at the end it refuse to publish.

Level 9

In my area we have the same problem. there are the paths to walk and ride a bike but Google maps does not show them.

@PaulPavlinovich

Connect Moderator

Hello @metramo and @AdriánZ,

To the system a trail is a road, it just has vehicular restrictions on it.

If it is available in your area, please use the portion of Send Feedback that allows one to add a new road.  When filling in the information, do not put anything in the Name field unless the path has an actual name; it is fine to have unnamed paths and roads on the map.  Do make sure to use the Add Notes section to state "Path for pedestrian and bikes only" or whatever the appropriate restrictions are on the feature you are requesting be added.

If the trail is visible in the aerials then you won't have to do much more.  If instead the trail is hidden then you might need to walk it with a GPS logger, upload that log to the internet, and then link to it in your feedback.  Do not link to information off of third party sites, Google cannot use that information.

The tool that allows one to edit roads on the map is an internal only tool to Google, your feedback goes to the road team who will verify the information and then use that tool to add the roads.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Hi @metramo I'm not sure what you mean by an edit tool, there isn't such a tool that can add entirely new roads. There is a tool that can extend an existing road.

@Flash has given good advice.

Level 5

How do I fix this bicycle route?

It's possible to ride straight over the bridge but google bicycle routing routes you under the bridge for no reason. I've submitted many edits and all have been "Not Applied".

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44.8499198,-93.3500435/44.8472332,-93.3501558/@44.8485597,-93.350471...

Connect Moderator

Re: How do I fix this bicycle route?

Hi @sharkbait

Did you submit the edits as feedback?

Did you draw the straight line over the bridge using the blue dots?

Did you attach a screenshot of the stupid detour? 

Keep trying and try to get other local guide to submit the same feedback. Or ask your local authorities to do so also. 

Fingers crossed. 

Level 5

Yes, I submitted the edit as feedback. Is there another way to submit edits?

I didn't draw a straight line over the bridge using the blue dots (new path). The road over the bridge is currently marked as a bike path so I was trying to use that. I've submitted many edits connecting the northern side of the bridge to the bike path and also submitted many edits marking the road to the south as a bike path. They've all been "Not Applied".

How do you attach a screenshot of the detour? I only see a small text box when submitting feedback so I've tried to describe it in text.

How do I get connected with other local guides that can help submit the same feedback?

Thank you for the help.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @sharkbait,

Thanks for your question.

Please note that this topic has been discussed also here - How can I add a walking and bicycle track to google maps ?

In order to keep the Connect organized I am going to merge your post there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!