Saurav1's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How View Count on images works

Hey friends, 

Since my total views on google maps cross 1.5 million views I have question in my mind...

As local guide all lg uplode images of places they visited. My question is how google count views on our uploadad images, what are the key elements which consider while calculating views on images.

#lgconnect #googlemaps

7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: How View Count on images works

Hi @Saurav1 thank you for reaching out. Photo views is the total views of all your photos you have added on Google Maps made public, photos that did not meet requirements they become private, not counted as part of your contribution.

Each photo have its own total number of views and all these views are added to make a total of what you see, sometimes photo views differs when you look at it from your Connect profile and when you look at it from Google Maps contribution due to different updating methods or time period. 

I hope this answer your question. Cheers! 

View solution in original post

Level 9
Solution

Hi @Saurav1 thank you for reaching out. Photo views is the total views of all your photos you have added on Google Maps made public, photos that did not meet requirements they become private, not counted as part of your contribution.

Each photo have its own total number of views and all these views are added to make a total of what you see, sometimes photo views differs when you look at it from your Connect profile and when you look at it from Google Maps contribution due to different updating methods or time period. 

I hope this answer your question. Cheers! 

Level 10
Level 10

Hello @Saurav1 

Whenever any device contacts the Google Maps servers with a request to draw the photo for viewing, that gets counted as a view. 
Thus, the calculation is nothing but the addition of such requests.

The next question in your mind would be what are the key elements to improve the count. 
There isn't any panacea for that. However, the AI does an excellent job to give a higher ranking to the deserving photos. 
Submitting high-quality photos consistently, and which represent some newer facets of a business; can be considered as a sound strategy to achieve that.
Connect Moderator

Hi @Saurav1,

I took a look at your open profile on Google Maps and here are a few tips you might find useful in getting more views on your pictures:

You take mainly pictures of nature, temples and food. You could benefit from selecting more high traffic places on Google Maps. Lots of people use google maps to search  for and get info on places like shopping centers, pizza restaurants and cinemas. If you could make sharper, high contrast pictures with saturated color of such places you will attract more views. 

Also before you take pictures you could benefit from checking existing pictures shown for that place on Google Maps. The first pic (the cover pic) is evaluated by Google as being the very best uploaded. If you can make a better one go for it. If not you may want to move on to the next business on your photowalk. 

Lastly I would suggest that you consider taking pictures of storefronts. Those have a higher chance of being featured as one of the 8 best pictures for a place. Rather than just another food pic. 

Hope you find this helpful. 

Cheers

Level 7

Hi as a City of Miami, FL & San Juan, PR Local(s) Google  Guide, main concern is how many views turn into visits. In my opinión, views are the first chapter in somebody's search for interesting places to visit. More economical & financial measures are the visits generating revenue for the local hotels/short term rentals, restaurants, local craft shops & guided tours to natural  and urban art/ cultural/ historic  tourist  sites. Would love to see Google generate this result: visits generated by views!

Connect Moderator

Hi @Chago

I'm trying to figure out what you are asking here. If it is a new question it would be best to start a new thread rather the jumping into an old question.

Local Guides can look up how many views pics have received. I guess Business owners have access to how many views their page on Google Maps gets.

But Google Maps will not have data on how many people actually go visit a place. This would require data on visitors and customers. But maybe approximations like how many people chose to navigate to a place could be useful. Google could also count those with location tracking turned on who go there. 

But sharing such data would be blatant violation of privacy laws in most regions. 

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. I remember some old more general data on the value for businesses to show up in Local searches.

I hope this helps. Feel free to start a new topic if you want to discuss this further. Or we could request a moderator to separate this into a new thread. 

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 7

I'm baffled by my image view count.

I have over 400,000 views on a photo of a small bowling alley in a small suburb of Sydney, technically outside Sydney it is that far west.

Pumpkinpizza_0-1673987851414.png

ALSO another bunch of photos I took when I broke down near a Pie factory.
2 pics of the car only have 37 & 59 views, but a picture of the tire with the nail in it has 31374 views WTF??

Level 8

The trick is to get picked by the Google AI as the primary picture on a business or location on the Google Map, then all traffic to that site would most likely click on your picture first. If it's a very popular business/attraction, your picture would be replaced by new ones very soon. If it's a less-popular place with very few or no people willing to post a new picture, your primary picture would stay there forever collecting all viewing. Google map is popular in the US, not worldwide. So, your picture in a country not popular with Google map would have a chance to remain the front image for a long time. The AI on the Google map would choose a unique picture instead of the same photo of the house-special burger or a famous sign. Try using a wide angle lens or a different shooting angle.