ShubhamWaman's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

GMRT : Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope

GMRT : Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope

National Science Day is celebrated every year on February 28 to commemorate the discovery of the 'Raman Effect' and to raise awareness about the importance of science and its role in improving the lives of people.

#1 Entry Gate to Science Exhibition#1 Entry Gate to Science Exhibition

The GMRT, which is the world's most powerful telescope operating at low radio frequencies, was built and is being operated by the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA) of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).

The Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) is located in Maharashtra's Pune district, near Khodad. This cutting-edge radio telescope facility is one of the largest and most powerful in the world for studying celestial bodies at low radio frequencies. The GMRT is made up of 30 completely steerable parabolic dishes dispersed across a large region, providing for great sensitivity and excellent angular resolution.

#2 Site Map Of Science Exhibition#2 Site Map Of Science Exhibition

The major goal of GMRT is to undertake cutting-edge radio astronomy research on a wide range of astronomical phenomena, including pulsars, galaxies, quasars, and extragalactic sources. The telescope's unique design and capabilities make it ideal for a wide range of scientific inquiries, greatly contributing to our understanding of the universe.

GMRT Khodad plays an important role in international partnerships and provides essential data for a variety of astronomical research. Its location in Khodad, away from radio interference and electromagnetic pollution, improves its observational capabilities, establishing it as a leading observatory in the field of radio astronomy. The facility remains an invaluable resource for astronomers and experts, providing substantial contributions to the study of the universe.

Structure :

The National Center for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA) established the GMRT radio telescope project at Khodad, near Narayangaon, thirty years ago to explore the universe. Scientist Prof. Govind Swaroop has taken the initiative for it. GMRT is one of the world's biggest radio telescopes due to its unique interferometer properties. In the GMRT project, 30 antennas were placed in the shape of an English Y in a circle roughly 25 kilometers in diameter. Twelve of these antennas are arranged in a Y-shaped core with a radius of one kilometer.

#3 Y  Shaped antenna arrangement#3 Y Shaped antenna arrangement

Visiting Hours :

Every Friday, the GMRT Observatory is accessible to the general public. Guests must register in advance with us for one of the two seminars held on any given Friday. Please take note that each class may only hold up to 60 people, therefore we advise enrolling in advance, especially for larger groups. The meetings are

Morning: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (time of reporting: 10 a.m.)

Afternoon: 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM (time of report: 2:00 PM)

A member of the Observatory team will be happy to answer your questions, give you a tour of the facility, and go over the scientific and engineering details of the GMRT.

In addition, the GMRT Observatory is open to the public throughout the day on the National Science Day and the following day (i.e. February 28 and 29, or February 28 and March 1), every year. 

[Mobile Phones Allowed During Science Exhibition]

Important : You will have to switch OFF your mobile phones during your visit since they will interfere with the astronomical observations of the telescope!

#4 Showing Antenna Body from Ground#4 Showing Antenna Body from Ground#5 History TIFR GMRT#5 History TIFR GMRT#6 Hot Air Ballon#6 Hot Air Ballon#7 School Project : Farming with new technique#7 School Project : Farming with new technique#8 Collage Project : Home made Electric Car#8 Collage Project : Home made Electric Car#9 Demo Of Y Shaped Arrange Antenna;s#9 Demo Of Y Shaped Arrange Antenna;s#10 Model of GMRT Antenna#10 Model of GMRT Antenna

️  Accessibility

Place is easily accessible

🌏Nearby attraction

Narayangad 

@Tushar_Suradkar 

@TravellerG 

@ajitthite 

@Shrut19 

@Praniketmore 

@Gurukrishnapriya 

@RosyKohli 

Shubham Waman  || "Every click tells a Story" ||
My Posts || Map Profile
Narayangaon, Maharashtra, India
27 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: GMRT : Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope

Excellent post and superb photos dear @ShubhamWaman 

I read in the newspaper that the Radio Telescope will remain open on 28th Feb - National Science Day.

But from your post, I read that it is open every Friday - which is very heartening news 👍

Also, it is a bit far away from Pune city center, how did you travel there?

Is there parking available?

Level 8

@ShubhamWaman  I know that the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research will organize a two-day science expo on February 28, National Science Day. The exhibition will be exhibited in Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope at Narayangaon,

but I never had the chance to visit there, hope I will go there once, thanks for sharing with us, excellent photo click and brief .👌

Praniket More || " Having a hobby is sweet for your psychological state – Chanakya " ||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Level 9

@ShubhamWaman 

Thanks for the beautiful post. I had been many times to pune but since few years not been but was not aware about this Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope. While read you post came to know thanks for beautiful photos. 

My best wishes to you. 

Level 9

Betreff: GMRT : Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope

@ShubhamWaman ein überaus informativer und interessanter Beitrag mit guten Fotos.

Wenn man sich diese Anlage vor Ort anschauen kann und erklärt bekommt ist das sicher sehr lehrreich.

Level 8

Very informative post @ShubhamWaman . You have neatly presented the post. I just went back to my school days, i.e. as a teacher I have accompanied my school students to many places like this. Thanks for tagging me.

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Level 10

Beautiful photos and interesting narration, dear @ShubhamWaman,

Well illustrated post... Appreciate your efforts and dedication... 

Happy to see such posts... 

Noted that you are using the modified Username which is looking really good. 

🤝❤️👍

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Many thanks  @Tushar_Suradkar Sir . You must abide by certain rules mentioned on the GMRT website in order to visit. must sign up in order to visit. The official URL is provided below; please review the guidelines and requirements.

Visit GMRT 

From Nashik Phata, it is around 80 km away.
Arrive at Narayangaon first, then turn right to head towards Khodad. You can go to GMRT with simplicity.
There is parking available.

My Posts || Map Profile
Level 8

Thank you so much @Praniketmore .

You must abide by certain rules mentioned on the GMRT website in order to visit. must sign up in order to visit. The official URL is provided below; please review the guidelines and requirements.

Visit GMRT 

My Posts || Map Profile
Level 8

Much appreciated, @RosyKohli 

I'll publish more articles similar to this one in the future.

My Posts || Map Profile