arss1987's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Exporting My Places Problems. 1% Top Best Local Guide in my City

Hello I have been trying to export my saved places for the last 3 months and it has been impossible! I created even Lists of places and when i export it from Google Takeout the JSON file its a complete mess. then i read in a forum that only best stared places are the only ones you can export 😞 I have more than 3500 places marked!  Level 9 LG and just received yesterday to my mail an Achievement that I am in the 1% Top Best Local Guide in my Country please help so i can keep contributing in Maps

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

9 comments
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Exporting My Places Problems. 1% Top Best Local Guide in my City

Hello @arss1987 

Hello
Understand your disappointment.

About the failure of creating the JSON file, you already know the responses in the Maps support forum.

However, if you wish to capture the text content of any other non-starred list, you can do so on a PC.
Open the list and then scroll down to the bottom. Next use commands Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to select & copy the entire text.
Then you can paste the content in any text editor.

Though you will get the name & address of the places, there will not be any hyperlinks.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @arss1987,

To keep Connect organized I am going to relabel your post to the How-tos section of Connect. This is the place where you may ask questions, share feedback and tips.

I saw you were advised above and also found a ongoing conversation in the Google Maps Help forum where you may take a look.

Thanks

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Hello thanks for your time, I think I lost my time adding places in organaized folders the copy paste of all the list dosnt help me but thanks for your time, im tired adding the same places in the starred list i have more than 30 lists im sure im going to miss some sites. 

Connect Moderator

Hey @arss1987

I'm trying to think of a reason why you want to keep the list of places you have contributed to separately from the Google Maps database.

I would love to understand and also know how this affects your contributions.

@C_T's suggestion is brilliant, and if you really need the links also I have 2 tricks that might help you out. But they will need you to not be afraid of html code and a bit of macro programming. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 9

Hello @MortenCopenhagen 

Sorry but at no time have I wished I had these lists of places in which I have contributed separately from the maps database.

I tell you that I have tried to export my sities, lists, tags, and I have only managed to export the files marked as favorites or starred places. Also the labels (tag) that I have added in Maps apparently I will also lose them when I export them because I have not been successful with that either.

This does not affect my contributions but if it delays my work and hours of dedication to locate the sites of interest.

If you can contribute your tricks to work with html and some macro programming it would be of excellent help and I would appreciate it a lot, thanks

Connect Moderator

Hi @arss1987

It is still a mystery to me why you want to export your lists to have a copy not stored in the Google Maps database.

The challenge is that the html source code will not contain all the data until after you have scrolled all the way down. By doing so batches of data get loaded into what is called the DOM.

You can access the DOM on a desktop by right clicking and selecting Inspect. If you select to view the source you will find the html code containing all the data included links. To make sense of it you need to filter out all the information you do not need. There is a lot! You may need to write some scripts for this.

The other trick is to use the software from https://ui.vision/ also on Desktop. It has a pretty steep learning curve but it is able to pull data from the DOM and save it in a text file. The scripts are not super fast but will get the job done. 

You need a pretty good reason for engaging with these methods since it is a lot of work to set up. I wish you the best of luck reaching your goals. 

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

Hola @arss1987 te respondo por este post parte de la consulta que me realizaste en el tablero de Ideas.

Estuve viendo tu perfil de Google Maps y te comento que no es necesario actualmente colocar un comentario en dos idiomas, hoy google Maps tiene la opción de traducir al lector el contenido del comentario, por este motivo lo puedes escribir en español o ingles o la lengua que tu desees.

Por otro lado te comento que no es necesario colocar 46 fotos en distintas posiciones varias de ellas repetidas de una cancha de futbol, te comparto las Reglas del programa Local Guides. Y en este sentido deseaba consultarte si los comentarios son originales ya que en google Maps como en Connect se ve mejor el contenido original que el contenido copiado, si es el caso de que el contenido no es de tu propiedad, sugiero que lo edites o lo elimines. 

Por último veo que la mayoría de los templos o sitios que comentas, estan al rededor del mundo pero los comentarios y fotos son de por lo menos dos semanas o un mes atrás, como pudiste viajar por todos ellos en el marco de la pandemia, cuando muchos de esos países tiene sus vuelos internacionales cerrados, 😕, por favor verifica nuevamente si el contenido es original, gracias.

Por último, aquí puedes leer como compartir tu perfil de Google Maps.

Farid.

Level 6

Hej Morten. @MortenCopenhagen ... I'm curious if this is the same issue I am seeking a solution towards. I am migrating my Gmail to a new account (to simply shorten a very long email address after 10 years of use, to something more digestible). I've completed everything from browser to passwords, etc., but afraid there's no way to Export/Import the json files so I have my 100+ Saved Lists from cities around the world that I update and share with friends/travelers of recommendations. I can "Share" them with my new email and hit "Follow", but this way it's not owned by my new Gmail, nor am I able to update them. Note these are not "My Maps" but saved lists. Am I out of luck? Is there no way to transfer this over, or does this speak to the DOM tool you mentioned? Any help incredibly appreciated 🙏

Connect Moderator

Hej @Steffan

Try sharing the list from you old account and then view it on a Desktop computer using your new account where I believe you will be able to save each place relatively quickly. Importing to Maps is not possible.

Cheers 

Morten