DiAnaUS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Don't give up. Showing Respect and Love.

Now that we're nearly a week in from the LG summit attendee list announcement, has anyone else felt the slow down of connect with members? 

While many celebrated. There were many who were sad, some who were angered, some that were confused, and some that quit maps and connect because of these emotions.

Here's what I think about that....

Here in Connect we become family, you don't quit family. You can be mad and upset for a while, but quitting should not be a go to option. Whether you're picked or not, you celebrate each other's victories. Don't get too hung up on the why you didn't get picked and why others were picked over you.

I want to say I feel bad for those who quit and deleted their accounts, but in that same token I don't because it helped weed out the people who are passionate about Maps and Connect for more than just getting a free trip. 

Over the past weekend I saw many accounts rage about Google, and delete their accounts. Well....Enough of bashing Google over their decison, respect the decison they have made, it wasn't easy. Do you realize you're bashing and criticizing the company that is giving you an opportunity to have an

all-expense-paid visit to America and meet your Connect friends from all over the world and new ones,year after year? Does instagram, snapchat, or Facebook offer you the same opportunity?  Google  absolutely does not have to even do that or even hold summit at all. Instead of bashing them we should be thanking them for giving us a chance! They are giving us a gift that is based on our passion and enthusiasm. They gave us an opportunity to meet great friends turned family in LG Connect. 

Be a little bit more appreciative.

I have said this many times...it's only one event, there will be plenty!

Love Google Maps!

Love Local Guides Connect! 

End of rant for the day....make that week! Hahaha 

Thanks friends for reading my babble lol

New York, NY, United States
9 comments
Level 10

Re: Don't give up. Showing Respect and Love.

@DiAnaUS I am really inspired by this post @TraciC should feature this topic on connect one day. Many people gave up without having valid reasons not to. As for me, I started contributing to Maps to help make my community and my country visible to people all over the world. I didn't contribute to google map because I wanted to attend the summit. Google is in fact doing more than enough. There are many opportunities people don't understand yet about the Local guides program. I hope they do get more understanding about the program in the future. Once again thanks for voicing out this opinion, I had the same thought before.

Best Regards.

Level 8

That's true We are a Family @DiAnaUS

We don't quit family you can upset for a while.

Be a responsible person & respect all who works hard for Google Maps.

Thanks for your positive post.

Level 10

I agree with you @DiAnaUS. Also the selected candidates should not have overstated their selections as a victory. I had already precluded the possibilities after the result in this post. Those who had huge contribution had great hope too. The very bad thing is all LGs went through comparing themselves with others.

But nobody can be far from family so I hope all will be normal by the time. 🙂

Level 8

@DiAnaUS wrote:

Now that we're nearly a week in from the LG summit attendee list announcement, has anyone else felt the slow down of connect with members? 

While many celebrated. There were many who were sad, some who were angered, some that were confused, and some that quit maps and connect because of these emotions.

Here's what I think about that....

Here in Connect we become family, you don't quit family. You can be mad and upset for a while, but quitting should not be a go to option. Whether you're picked or not, you celebrate each other's victories. Don't get too hung up on the why you didn't get picked and why others were picked over you.

I want to say I feel bad for those who quit and deleted their accounts, but in that same token I don't because it helped weed out the people who are passionate about Maps and Connect for more than just getting a free trip. 

Over the past weekend I saw many accounts rage about Google, and delete their accounts. Well....Enough of bashing Google over their decison, respect the decison they have made, it wasn't easy. Do you realize you're bashing and criticizing the company that is giving you an opportunity to have an

all-expense-paid visit to America and meet your Connect friends from all over the world and new ones,year after year? Does instagram, snapchat, or Facebook offer you the same opportunity?  Google  absolutely does not have to even do that or even hold summit at all. Instead of bashing them we should be thanking them for giving us a chance! They are giving us a gift that is based on our passion and enthusiasm. They gave us an opportunity to meet great friends turned family in LG Connect. 

Be a little bit more appreciative.

I have said this many times...it's only one event, there will be plenty!

Love Google Maps!

Love Local Guides Connect! 

End of rant for the day....make that week! Hahaha 

Thanks friends for reading my babble lol

Good Post. Timely.

Level 7

Exactly @DiAnaUS!

Very well said.

The respect that we should have should stay strong.

I like your message very much!

🙂

Connect Moderator

Well said @DiAnaUS! Completely agree with what you beautifully have written here. I second @HelloSamsonR nomination for @TraciC to have your post be published here in Connect. 

Being a Local Guide is year round. Not to just win an "all expense paid trip to America to visit Google." After Summit invite emails are announced, It does weed out the serious and passionate from the not serious or just wanting "The Trip"  as the prize or their only goal for being here.

Personally, I have met Local Guides prior to the now annual Summit last year, during and now the lead up to Summit 17. What everyone has in common is that they are passionate people in their fields and with their love for Google. It's never been "Google owes me," but how we can make and contribute to make things better. 

Keep your Google Maps / Local Guides enthusiasm up. I hope you consider me part of your Local Guides family. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

@KarenVChin You are my family already and I look forward in meeting a new member of my family from #LocalGuides Connect in the #Summit17 and also be a good friend and family for life 😄

Connect Moderator

Level 8

Wow I'm amazed with all the responses! Thank you guys for coming together as family and showing the true meaning of community! 

You are all wonderful Local Guides, not only in your own respective communities, but also in our Local Guide Connect Community 🙂 

I look forward to building this community up bigger and better! Thank you for always supporting not only me but each other. That is what family is about! 

Best of luck to our lucky attendees, you have already made us so proud! Can't wait to see all the pictures and videos from LGSummit17 🙂

@HelloSamsonR @SoniaK @KarenVChin @DChamandy @Paresh_Ratan @Umashankar @BishowvijayaP