Re: DIY rig to automatically remove yourself from 360 photos and videos

Thank you @YasumiKikuchi San

Connect Moderator

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich

Thanks for the missing input 🙂

Connect Moderator

@OmerAli, use the post URL link created here in that forum. You can create a hyperlink (look at the link icon) above in the tool bar.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thanks for your comments @sonnyNg

Well, I used to make 360 photospheres with my phone and DSLR and I always used to put a circular marker on the ground as a reference. It helped me to rotate around the axis and also in post-processing while healing those bottom areas. 

I thought if I could add the same between the hand and the 360 camera it might work. 

So, I started off with a watercolor tray that I hadwatercolor mixing traywatercolor mixing tray

It worked, but the problem was twofolds:

• The size of the tray was huge and it took more than 20% of the area
  • The surface was not smooth and eventually I had to do post-processing

I then switched to a smaller alternative (rather too small), which was a Small CD Mini Compact DiscMini Compact Disc

It fixed the surface issues, but it was too small to hide my body .

So, eventually, I ended up trying with a regular sized CD and it worked ?

Here's a photo of my reference gear ?ref.jpg

Former Google Contributor

Hi @OmerAli,

Wow that is a whole process, as @YasumiKikuchi had mentioned with the trial and error method! : ]

Kudos to the idea to have a paper compass, that's one step ahead way of thinking. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thanks @sonnyNg

I am also trying to code for Ricoh Theta V (not sure if I can make it, as it is my first time on the device and I have limited resources available) to automatically try to correct and stitch nadir (like Google Street View vehicles do). 

Let's see if that works out. If that ever happens, I will dedicate the firmware update to Local Guides Community 🙂

Such dedication for the community is really valuable, @OmerAli! : ]

Nevertheless, please make sure to check carefully term of use as well as the availability with any disclosure that are regarding to work with the software of the device.

Good luck with the project!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!

@OmerAli Love all of the experimentation and new learning the Ricoh Theta V has inspired 🙌🏼

Connect Moderator

Thanks @brittym

absolutely in love with Ricoh Theta V. I have 2 of them now, but getting one from Google and that too in such a surprising way holds a very special value. 
 I infact don't shoot with the Theta V I got from CL18, as I intend to keep it safe and perhaps will pass it on to my grand children one day 😄

@OmerAli Use it!! There will be new technology by the time your grandchildren are in the market for 360 cameras!