cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Common Review Violations

Hello @25000pasos 

Glad to note the described method was useful for locating the private reviews.
Thanks for the mention

Connect Moderator

@MortenCopenhagen .. thank you for this and I understand more as well about the the common review. This explains a lot and thanks for the handy tips

Connect Moderator

@indahnuria

My true pleasure.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 5

Hi there, Morten! This is all super helpful, thank you so much as I'm a new guide and have been immensely confused about having 52 reviews written and just 31 available publicly. It's a grave difference. I've reviewed your articles on count your hidden contributions/reviews, sanctions, typical violations and pretty much everything you've written on this topic. I went through my reviews and did not feel that any of them should be hidden - they did not have offensive language, personal attack, etc. 

As I do enjoy writing reviews, do you have any tips on this? Thank you again for your very comprehensive information. 

Level 8

I think changing our reviews without a fair and just system is not the right approach. If Google is not willing to be very specific and helpful... Why any of us should care to contribute? Google makes billions out of their products and we are punished by some random AI without help or support, with some generic and despotic guidelines and without any ways to appeal these decisions... If I were to have known any of this before my reviews being hidden, I'd switch to TripAdvisor, Yelp or whichever platform which may be helpful and considerate. I personally am in no way going to individually check reviews if Google is not capable to tell with exactitude what is asking to change. It should be us who punish Google without reviews until they provide respectful and worthy tools to the guides. I personally feel mocked by this approach.

Level 8

Hey @MortenCopenhagen,

I had edited and updated a year old review.

After updating, it is hidden now.

It was visible before.

I can see that in my contribution but not in default mode or in other people's account.

I cannot delete and re-write review again, because it got 5 like and tens thousands of views. And that much figures matter more for level 7 guide.

I'm certain that you will give solution, but kindly do tell us what precaution must we take while updating reviews. Most of the time, we revisits places after a long time and there is always some thing that's changed. I have 3-4 reviews more to update.

Connect Moderator

@Raghu13

Thanks for asking.

When we edit and resubmit a review the spam filter will check the text again. 

When such an edit leads to the review getting hidden, it is probably not due to the text changes you made but due to the fact that the review has not been checked for a long time and you (not the particular) text is under suspision/observation. 

When I wrote this tutorial editing reviews almost always could result in the review going public. But as mentioned here it seems that Google changed the spam filter to also hide reviews that in them selves are not bad as a warning of other kinds of violations. Also, some LGs will experience that all new (or newly edited) reviews go hidden. 

All I can recommend is to carefully check your contributions (maybe ask a friend to help you) and use the form to get hidden reviews checked manually. 

So avoiding editing some reviews in an attempt to keep them public is not the best strategy. If your contributions are under observation, then they will get hidden sooner or later anyhow. 

I hope this helps even though my answer is not so clear cut. 

All the best 

Morten 

Level 6

Hi,

For some reason since December none of the reviews I've left (over 25) is publically visible. I tried contacting Google number of times but they said that my account is fine and not penalized. Can you help?

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/101507510522755916292?hl=en-US&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwwfeB5df8AhVS8Dg...

Connect Moderator

@TAN_AUS

The reply you cited tells me that you used the wrong form.

Please use the form called Account investigation for contributions not visible on Google Maps if you believe that some of your contributions have been wrongfully unpublished.

Best of luck
Morten

Level 6

Do you know how long this takes? It's been few days now but I haven't heard anything.