sergeant000's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

College Campus "Suggest an Edit" Abuse

I'm a local guide who goes to school at a large university. The latest "meme" has been to abuse the Suggest an Edit tool to change the names of dining courts, residence halls, fraternities, and academic buildings. I've been suggesting edits to change them back to their actual names, but now I'm experiencing extremely slow review time or even having some of my reviews flat-out denied because of the spamming. Is there any way to have campus listings reset to before this began and to put a temporary lock on the Suggest an Edit took to prevent more mayhem?

I'm just one guy on a campus of over 40,000 so any help would be appreciated.

Purdue University, Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN, USA
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: College Campus "Suggest an Edit" Abuse

I've brought this post to the attention of the Googlers @sergeant000.

Former Google Contributor

@sergeant000  - I'll go ahead and reach out to you via PM.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Connect Moderator

40.000 prank-prone students vs. 1 well-meaning local guide, that does indeed not fair @sergeant000

I hope they can fix this soon, and I also hope your trust score as LG will not have been negatively impacted by those repeated changes of the same POIs. That would be really bitter!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 4

I hope so too @JanVanHaver. It's getting out of hand and, frankly, making a world-class university look awful. More names are being changed every day and sometimes a building can have 4-5 names in one day.

I'm still fighting the good fight and am waiting to hear back from more people at Google about what they can do to help. All listings were correct as of September 18th, but I don't know if they are able to revert back to the data present on that day.

Connect Moderator

I know that there is a technical possibility to block an area for edits, because they are doing this in regions were there are e.g. discussions about borders between countries.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 4

@JanVanHaver I just got a generic reply that pretty much said I was doing an okay job, but offered no solution to keeping POIs from changing names 4 to 5 times per day or accelerating my changes to the top.

It's a little irritating and I hope that I can figure out a way to get this to stop.

Connect Moderator

It's good that you have received a reply, as that suggests it is now on someone's to do list. But it can indeed take a while before action is taken. Patience is an important trait to have as local guide 😀

@sergeant000

Level 4

Well, it's been a few weeks and still no solution on Google's end. My edits are still left "Pending" and campus is still looking like a train wreck because I can't keep up with it.