Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Clock Tower of the Chaturshringi Police Station in Pune

My fascination for clock towers took me to a police station yesterday.

I have always known clock towers as a relic of the past when wristwatches were not common.

People in the olden days when visiting government offices like the police station often need to keep track of time and clock towers were built as an integral part of such government buildings.

One such building is the Chaturshringi Police Station in Pune. The building has a clock tower as an integral part and after reading about its broken condition in the local newspaper I visited this police station yesterday morning and took permission after taking the photo of the clock tower.

CT_CPS_00.jpgCT_CPS_00.jpg

The tower has 4 clocks and all of them are in broken condition. None of it is operational. The police inspector here recently applied for INR 25000 in support from the government for its repairs and the news of which appeared in the newspaper.

I learned from the current inspector that the previous inspector is transferred to another station but the clock is not yet repaired which was sad to know.

How to Reach

Buses ply from every part of Pune so get down at the Pune University Square. The police station is 100 meters towards Aundh and opposite the Raj Bhavan.

A new line of the Pune metro is also coming up but is not ready yet.

accessiblity_64.png Accessibility Features

The clock tower in the police station is fully accessible for a wheelchair-bound person with leveled roads and tactile paths.

Here's a snapshot:

✔️ Ramp access.
  ✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Entrance.
  ✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Restroom/Toilet.
  ✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Parking.
  ✔️ Tactile Path for the Visually-Impaired.

My Previous Clock Tower Visits

1. Merta City Clock Tower

2. Surat Clock Tower

3. Pune Police Station Clock Tower

4. Pune - Spicer College CockTower

Pune, Maharashtra, India
6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Clock Tower of the Chaturshringi Police Station in Pune

@AdamGT 

Here's is the post about the clock tower that is now a police station that I mentioned in your story.

Noting much to add here except that I clicked the photos unaware that the police would object.

If you look at the Google Maps link of this place mentioned in the post there are already plenty of photos of the police station and no one took notice.

It seems local guides like us are the unfortunate ones who bear the brunt.

Are the bank and the post office you mentioned in your post present on Google Maps?

I am sure they already are having plenty of photos as well.

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Tushar_Suradkar for tagging me.  I have to say it is a beautiful clock tower and in many ways similar to the one I mentioned in my reply to you on the Local Guides' bad experiences post that I will write more about shortly; I just seem to be going in all directions at the moment lol.  Regarding your question, the Bank I have to dig for my travel journals because I first need to confirm if it was in Messina, Sicily or somewhere else in order to check.  There are no photos of Joe's post office 🙂  

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Connect Moderator

I think we have a similar one in Phnom Penh city but not function anymore @Tushar_Suradkar 

However, thanks to your post to point it out. Actually, sometime, many things are unveiled due to it becomes the private property. 

Taking Cambodian case, in 1975-1979 it was 3 years of civil wars. People were evacuated from Phnom Penh so in 1980s, when these people come back they would just pick any property to live [not belong to them]. Some owned the mansion overnights and become the rich men today [because they took the property of others in the middle of the city]. Some government buildings were also taken or some private property become government property. 

Level 8

Nice post about the clock tower in Pune. Do you know when did this clock commissioned? @Tushar_Suradkar 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Hi @Rohan10 

Nice question 👍

The clock tower is about 120 years old and that is all the information available even to experts.

I found the reference here.

Level 8

very interesting thing to know in your reference. Thanks @Tushar_Suradkar 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel