Sophia_Cambodia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Cambodian food] How do we preserve our food?

In my previous articles, I talked a lot about food, edible plants, recipes for various dishes and many other things related to food. You can click my signature below to read more about them! 

Beef grilled over fire during campingBeef grilled over fire during camping

However, I want to talk about how do we preserve our food for a long time use, for example meat and vegetables?

Some can last up for days, months and for years too. How do we do that? Many family in the rural areas do not have refrigerators and our ancestors did not have it too but they passed these knowledge to us. It means that the way they preserved food was here long time ago!

I admire Cambodian ancestors; my ancestors; who found ways to keep food without using refrigerator at all for a long time use. I will come up one by one how they preserve it! The process can make them last for months and some last for years.

Paok (fermented fish with roasted rice), smoked fish, dried beef/crocodile and pork/beef sausagePaok (fermented fish with roasted rice), smoked fish, dried beef/crocodile and pork/beef sausage

Meats

• ផ្អាប់ Fermented: there are two forms of fermented food and usually they are with freshwater fish or shrimp. Fish is available so much throughout the country so locals process it and use for a long time. (1) ប្រហុក​ read as Prohok (fermented fish, only using salt). This one can use as a base ingredient for other dishes and can be invented into many things. You can eat them raw, cook them, mix them with other things or use it as a base ingredient in various soups. It can be kept up to years.. (2) ផ្អក read as Pa-ok (fermented by adding roasted rice - the taste is sour after, short lifespan than that of Prohok). What you can make them from? Fish, small shrimp, pork.. Keep them in the jars.
  • ងៀត Dry: They marinade them with salt, sugar and sometimes pepper then dry them with the sunshine. What you can make them from? Beef, pork, crocodile meat, wildlife meat (not recommended to eat from wildlife conservation perspective), seafood (shrimp, stingray, squid). They can be kept for a long time, up to a year! Store them in open air space (far from pets)
  • ឆ្អើរ Smoke: What can make them from? Fish and some seafood - smoked fish can make yummy dishes such as mango salad. Keep them in opened air space.
  • សាច់ក្រក Sausage: Pork, beef (that can be kept for a long time too)
  • សាច់ផាត់ Phat: different from drying, this one you cook either fish or pork well and then you dry them. Then, you rip open the cooked ones fiber by fiber, fry them on the cook again and keep in a closed bottle.
  • ប្រៃ Salty: egg kept in salty water or ash left from firewood. You keep them there, when you want to use take one by one to use.

Vegetables pickles - kind of dishes but keep for few days too!Vegetables pickles - kind of dishes but keep for few days too!

Vegetables

• ជ្រក់ Pickle: Bamboo, Cucumber: pickle for years. The bamboo then can be used to make different of soups. Cabbage pickle is so good to go with grilled fish!​ Kaffir lime pickle can be used for a long time and used as dip-sauce to eat as side dish.
  • ក្រូចង៉ាំង៉ូវ Fermented limes: lemons that are pickled to use in kinda soups.
  • ចាវ Sweet pickle: especially for cucumber, whole or cut half of them and soak in sweet-salt juice and keep them there. You will eat them raw with rice and grilled fish!
  • សំងួត Dry: taro leaves, bamboo, tamarind, paddy field herb (thyme) 
  • ប្រៃ Salty: reddish,  

My mom dried this mango pudding at homeMy mom dried this mango pudding at home

Fruits

• ដំណាប់ Jam: mango, mango jam [liquid], pineapple, tamarind, tamarind, and many others
  • កូរ Pudding: Mango, pineapple

Juice

• Palm juice - to become wine or sour wine
  • Palm juice will be refined to become brown sugar
  • Honey - just keep it like that!

I have seen my mom and elders in the village do it a lot and keep for using at home.​

• Those preserved food are kept for a long time and will be used occasionally, especially for dry season that most fish or vegetables are not available.
  • Those preservation food is very good for packing, especially when people go to work in the field, travel far from home or go camping.
Prey Veng, Cambodia
26 comments
Level 10

Re: How do we store our food? [Cambodian food]

@Sophia_Cambodia Very interesting post indeed. I love fermented and preserved food, and when done fully naturally in traditional methods with salt/sugar, should be very good for health with apparently a lot of probiotic capabilities. Unfortunately at the moment because of some digestive ailments, I am missing my kimchi and such a lot. Hopefully I can get back to eating some of these. And I will definitely try some of these when I get to Cambodia.

I won't say all preserved food is good though, especially those done in an industrial scale where possible chemical flavorings and preservatives are used to have speed and scale to market. 

Connect Moderator

Re: How do we store our food? [Cambodian food]

Yea @StephenAbraham you are right there. I love it when it is done naturally or using traditional method but it is very difficult to know which ones unless you have a loyal seller to whom you trust. I love to buy them from farmers who produce small scales only and I can ensure that they do it traditionally unlike from big markets with big products where we don't really know the sources. 

Level 9

Re: How do we preserve our food? [Cambodian food]

Hey @Sophia_Cambodia 

What a wonderful and educative post. You clearly discussed all the best practices to preserve foods in your country. To my best of knowledge almost all these you wrote are applicable in my own country. Just a few are new to me.

Thank you for sharing this amazing post with us here on connect. 

Best regards. 

Level 9

Hey @Sophia_Cambodia 

I am curious to know more about palm juice. Here in Nigeria, we have palm wine, it is gotten from palm tree and it is white or will I say light milky in color.  it usually has yeast. I guess I have to write a whole full post about it now🙂😁

Connect Moderator

It is interesting to know that we have similar ways of doing things @Austinelewex especially in food preservation.

May you share what are new to you?

Connect Moderator

@Austinelewex the wine is two. One is because we keep the palm juice for a long time so it become very sour and alcohol too, drink more you will get drank. It is called ទឹកត្នោតជូរ read as Teouk Thnot Ju (Sour Palm Juice but it is treated as alcohol) I think this is what you said about yeast and color!

Another one, they have a different way to make it into the wine [like Western wine but produced from palm juice]. In Cambodia, we have rice wine, banana wine and this palm wine.

Level 9

phat and Pa-Ok are new to me. @Sophia_Cambodia  

By the way I would love to taste rice and banana wine. 🤭🤭

Connect Moderator

They are quite strong @Austinelewex 

Oh, I see.. amazing how you have everything and do it the same way here which is far away from each other. Maybe people in the past also learnt from each other?

Level 9

Even until now people learn from each other @Sophia_Cambodia 

Are you saying that Rice and banana wine are very strong alcohol?🙂