kazmisahib's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Any one from NW England?

Is there any local guide from North West of England?

I would like to meet fellow local guides especially from Manchester and surrounding areas.

Kind Regards
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Any one from NW England?

Hi @kazmisahib !! Welcome to Connect!! As you can see, we are a vibrant community so much so that a Belgium Local Guide ( @JanVanHaver ) pointed your post to me! I am based in Manchester so not too far away. I believe you might be based in nearby Rochdale? The Manchester Local Guides has a lot of members based in Stockport too but we come from all over, some as far as Bolton too! We have an upcoming meet up in Stockport and you can find out more about it at this link. If you're unable to attend don't worry, we try our best to organise one event every month and the activity varies each time. Just do search for "Manchester" and you'll see a lot of posts on Connect.

And as you're new here, quick tip.. check out your notifications (top right, bell icon) as it's an easy way to keep track of conversations etc. Also, when replying, you're best tagging the person you're talking to by using the @ symbol as I've done above. This way, the person you're talking to will get a notification about your comment! 

And lastly, do check out these links here that are super helpful!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We're all here to help!

Lastly, massive thanks @JanVanHaver for the tag! Much appreciated!! 😊👍

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @kazmisahib , there is actually quite an active LG community in the Manchester area. @AdrianLunsong can tell you all about it.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Former Google Contributor

Hello @kazmisahib,

Thanks for sharing!

If you would like to meet fellow Local Guides, you can easily organize a meet-up yourself on our website. You can also check the ongoing ones in the Meet-ups topic section you might want to participate in some of them.

To learn more, check this How to Organize a Local Guides Meet-Up article.

Idea exchange is a place on Connect for Local Guides to share their feedback and ideas with our team to tell us about a way to improve the Local Guides program.

To learn more about the Idea Exchange, you can read this article How do I use the Idea Exchange?

PS: I'm moving your post to the Mee-ups section, as it fits bettet there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @kazmisahib !! Welcome to Connect!! As you can see, we are a vibrant community so much so that a Belgium Local Guide ( @JanVanHaver ) pointed your post to me! I am based in Manchester so not too far away. I believe you might be based in nearby Rochdale? The Manchester Local Guides has a lot of members based in Stockport too but we come from all over, some as far as Bolton too! We have an upcoming meet up in Stockport and you can find out more about it at this link. If you're unable to attend don't worry, we try our best to organise one event every month and the activity varies each time. Just do search for "Manchester" and you'll see a lot of posts on Connect.

And as you're new here, quick tip.. check out your notifications (top right, bell icon) as it's an easy way to keep track of conversations etc. Also, when replying, you're best tagging the person you're talking to by using the @ symbol as I've done above. This way, the person you're talking to will get a notification about your comment! 

And lastly, do check out these links here that are super helpful!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We're all here to help!

Lastly, massive thanks @JanVanHaver for the tag! Much appreciated!! 😊👍

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Level 7

Thanks a lot. I am hopeful to attend meeting in Manchester area. Even Stockport or Bolton not far from Rochdale.

It is really nice to know that there are so many like minded people in our surrounding areas. I will keep in touch and will try my best to attend a meet up.. 

Kind Regards
Level 10

Hi @AdrianLunsong 

I just wanted to know if I am missing something.
When I go the the main meetups search website, I don't see many available in the world... it's showing me less than 10.

And if I search by date, nothing turns up.

So, how will I know when/if there's ever any meetups taking place in the UK?

I'm based in the West Midlands and am interested in attending events and meeting more local guides. I even did a meetup of my own (no one came)...

So I'm wondering if I'm doing my searching wrong? Or how do I connect for events/meet more local guides?
Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @kazmisahib I'm in the early phase of planning a meetup for next week (Wednesday evening), with the idea for a meal somewhere in the First Street area and then to catch Amazing Grace at HOME Manchester. Not sure if that's your thing but keep an eye out for the meetup announcement or just tag me if you're interested!

Connect Moderator

Hi @TheRealKristin ... sorry for the slow reply... I've been super busy with numerous plates spinning! When you say you've been to the main Meetup page, I'm guessing you mean this one:

https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup

In the global list, I can see loads, and more just loads up when I click on "Show More". However, when I try to pick a few random cities in the UK, there are no events! I guess nobody's organising any! From my personal experience, it's been hard (quite hard actually) to get folks interested. It's taken a few years but we have a solid bunch in Manchester that do enjoy meeting up on a monthly basis! Yay! And I've always focused more on the social aspects to keep it fun and light.

Looking at a search for West Midlands, I can see a few folks posting about meetups (and this year too!). So my recommendation is to reach out to these folks and strike up a quick conversation about meetups, find out how keen folks are, what sort of activities they are into, pick a convenient date/time for those happy to meet up and then host it. And I would also just drag a few friends (non-Local Guides) to join in. That way, the party doesn't feel too small and you'll get a mix of conversations rather than just Local Guides all the time. And there's security in numbers! Always good to play it safe! In fact, you can ask every attendee to bring a friend along. I always feel folks are more comfortable with that arrangement!

Anyway, I hope that helps! Any more questions, feel free to ask! And all the best!!

Level 10

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the time you took to search/fill me in.

I will contact the local West Midlands people directly I think, as you're correct in saying there's no upcoming meetups in the UK... I do see one for Northern Ireland though! LOL 🙂

Level 7

Hi Adrian. I have been really busy to not to pay any attention to my online presence. I would like to see all the local guides and Msnchester is not far from my town but it is just the time and date if that falls on a day which is comfortable for me.

Kind Regards