ChinonsoOnukwugha's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Inclusive Board Games - Mancala

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Twelve (12) holes, 48 stones, 1 game. Mancala is an ancient African game of strategy. While the game tools have evolved over the years, the method of play still remains the same.

Mancala for All

Did you know that mancala is an inclusive game? At first look, mancala seems like a difficult activity to adapt, but those who are impaired or have various limitations can also enjoy the game.

-Visual- Players with visual impairment can touch the holes and move his or her fingers anticlockwise to know where to pick up and drop the seed.

-Auditory- There are no sound required to play mancala, so individuals with auditory impairment can enjoy the game.

-Mobility- Mancala can be played in any setting as it is portable and does not require movement other than the hands. If an individual has difficulty moving either or both hands, the opponent or a third person can assist.

-Cognitive- This game does not require cognitive flexibility and can be as simple or complex as the individual wishes in regards to thinking about strategies to defeat his or her components. The main rule is to drop a seed or stone in the next hole and so on.

Mancala gameMancala game

Rules of the Game

-1- Players take turns to play seeds. The first player chooses one non-empty hole from one of the six rows on his or her side and picks up all the seeds.

-2- The player drops one seed into the next hole in an anticlockwise direction, a seed in the hole after that, and so on until the seed runs out. Once the seed runs out, the next player goes and does the same.

-3- If there are four seeds after a seed is dropped, the player collects all four seeds from that hole from his or her row.

-4- If a player cannot play because all six holes on his or her side are empty, the game ends and the player retrieves all the seeds on his or her side.

-5- When one player has captured 25 seeds or more, the game ends and that player is the winner. The game is a tie if both players have 24 seeds each.

In Nigeria, you can find mancala in any city. If you cannot find the game, you can create your own. Twelve (12) holes and 48 stones are all you need!

While Mancala first appeared in Africa (though the exact country of origin is unknown), many countries around the world have adopted and adapted the game.

Have you seen this game before? Do you know how to play? Did you know that this mancala is inclusive? Comment below and let’s get a conversation going!

Do you have a question, suggestion or contribution? Feel free to leave a comment! You can read last week's roundup clicking here, and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Learn more about our project and team at oneaccessibility.org.

Nigeria
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Inclusive Board Games - Mancala

OMGoodness! I haven't played this game in ages. 

It's known as "warri" in a number of Caribbean islands. 

Didn't think of it then, but I'm so happy to know this game that was so fun for me and so many others, is a great accessible game. That's fantastic! 

Thanks for this post. It brought a bright smile to my face 😁

Level 10

In my village, we call this "Okwe". I remember playing this when I was little with my cousins. It was endless and often very fun to play. The more the people, the merrier and yes! It's an inclusive game for all. It never grows old.

Isaac
Level 8

I love this post @ChinonsoOnukwugha. This game is called Awale where I come from. I've never played it but find it interesting. 

I took this photo at the Douala Maritime Museum. 

Screenshot_20200312_122002.jpg

Lily Asongfac
Level 7

@anu7spice That's awesome to hear! Yes I still have the game now and play it from time to time. I'm glad the post made you smile. 

@Mayford I agree! Timeless game though don't think I've played it with more than one person.

@Lily_Asongfac Now that you've read the rules of the game, I encourage you to try playing, and bring a friend!
Level 7

Marcala?  I think I know this game.It is called Ntcho in my local dialect, igbo!

Its indeed a game of reasoning. It evokes this sense of togetherness. 

I suggest another ga Suwe! 

Connect Moderator

Hey, that's an interesting game @ChinonsoOnukwugha and besides accessibility, I think it could help improve motor skills in kids.

The seeds look familiar and we call it 'SagarGota' here in India with the English name Fever Nut and biological name Caesalpinia Bonduc.