GearHead's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Acadia National Park - Mount Desert Island, Maine

Acadia National Park in Mount Desert Island, Maine is one of the most visited in America.  Consistently ranking among the top 10, its Mount Desert is the highest point on the Eastern Coast at 1,528 ft (465.7 m).

Photo 15-Small.jpgPhoto 15-Small.jpg

From the top, there is a expansive view of Bar Harbor and environs.

Photo 11-Small.jpgPhoto 11-Small.jpg

The granite topped mountain and crisp blue seas make for some scenic views!

Photo 12-2.jpgPhoto 12-2.jpg

Photo 13-Small.jpgPhoto 13-Small.jpg

There are forty-five miles of carriage roads in Acadia National Park, the gift of philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr. and family, weaving around the mountains and valleys of Acadia National Park.

Photo 9-Small.jpgPhoto 9-Small.jpg

This stone lodge is an example of the typical construction inside the park.

Photo 10-Small.jpgPhoto 10-Small.jpg

Rockefeller, a skilled horseman, wanted to travel on motor-free byways via horse and carriage into the heart of Mount Desert Island. His construction efforts from 1913 to 1940 resulted in roads with sweeping vistas and close-up views of the landscape and coast line.

Photo 6-Small.jpgPhoto 6-Small.jpg

Photo 3-Small.jpgPhoto 3-Small.jpg

Photo 7-Small.jpgPhoto 7-Small.jpg

Here are some food choices around Acadia National Park:

Photo 19-2.jpgPhoto 19-2.jpg

We also stayed at the Rose Eden Cottages, a collection of semi-detached bungalows.  For dessert we recommend Udder Heaven Ice Cream.

Photo 18-Small.jpgPhoto 18-Small.jpg

You've got to try their Blueberry Ice Cream, made from locally picked blueberries of course!

This trip took place in August 2020.  At that time, Maine had an excellent profile in the COVID-19 pandemic, requiring designated out-of-state visitors to show a negative test before hotel accommodations can be made available without quarantine.  We complied, and was mindful to wear face masks, maintain social distancing, and keep washing our hands.  We had a safe and enjoyable trip.

5 comments
Level 10

Re: Acadia National Park - Mount Desert Island, Maine

@GearHead Thanks for sharing this. The place looks amazing. The view on top of Mount Desert looks great. Hope one day I will be able to visit this myself.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @GearHead,

Thank you for sharing about your trip to Acadia National Park.

This place looks very beautiful and really peaceful. I like the stone lodges a lot as well as the view of the pond.

I am not big fan of lobsters, but I would like to try the blueberry ice cream served at 

Udder Heaven Ice Cream!

See you around with more great posts from you!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 5

I am glad you like my post about Acadia National Park, it is indeed a beautiful place full of hiking trails and scenic spots.

I must admit that eating a lobster is quite a messy affair.  You might try a Lobster Roll instead where all the meat has been extracted and put inside a bun.  Much less work to eat one!  Oh, and the Blueberry ice cream is outstanding!

On Mount Desert Island, the Travelin' Lobster makes an excellent lobster roll:

Photo 4-2.jpgPhoto 4-2.jpg

Level 9

Awesome place, Specially I loved the lobster.

#BDLG #LoveBangladesh #Bangladesh

#mehedi_mht | #mehedihasantanvir
Level 10

Very nice, clean and relaxing place.

Your shots are great @GearHead . Especially landscape ones. I skipped the lobster one because I'm a fan of veggie foods.

This is very good that you joined the Local Guides program and we have this opportunity to enjoy and join your stories 😊 Thank you

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides