SP31's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

A Breath of Fresh Air: Embracing Nature Through Local Guides

As a Miami-Florida native, my earlier life knew of Miami what I only heard from my older family members and what I saw portrayed through media - clubbing, theme parks, and the occasional beach visit. Not that there is anything wrong with those amusement options, but through the Local Guides program, I've learned and experienced what our beautiful yet vulnerable planet has to offer. With that said, it is difficult to fight the fact that the most interesting thing I have done as a Local Guide is embrace my wild side by truly exploring what nature has to offer. 

Looking towards the clouds at Muir WoodsLooking towards the clouds at Muir Woods

Fresh, crisp air within Muir WoodsFresh, crisp air within Muir Woods

My first experience in exploring nature as a Guide actually came to fruition as part of an official Local Guides meetup by LG program manager @TraciC. I had lived in Florida all my life, but had never been to the everglades, and this opportunity was my first time to explore the large well-known wetland and meet a ton of other Local Guides. I was so inspired by that occasion that I hosted a beach cleanup meet-up as part of the LG volunteer day that same year.

First Local Guides meet-up at the Everglades w/ @TraciC!First Local Guides meet-up at the Everglades w/ @TraciC!

Even through my own travels or local explorations, I found myself getting closer to nature - from passing on slots to experience fresh snowfall on Mount Charleston outside of Vegas to exploring the never-ending vastness of the Muir Woods in the Bay Area, I have come to appreciate trading the hustle and bustle of the city for the serenity of the great outdoors. If it was not for the inspiration received from others in the LG program, I would've never seen Bison in person, never would've attempted driving up and around mountains (we're used to flat-surface driving in South Florida), and I would've never tried skiing or snowmobiling either.

Spring Mountain Visitor Area at Mt. Charleston, NVSpring Mountain Visitor Area at Mt. Charleston, NV

Vineyards of Robert Mondavi in CAVineyards of Robert Mondavi in CA

Japanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, CAJapanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, CA

Arapahoe Basin near Denver, COArapahoe Basin near Denver, CO

Even finding little escapes within the big city has been a favorite activity of mine as a Local Guide - and sharing those places with others who are seeking the same experience through Google Maps is just the icing on the cake. 

Bison at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge in Denver, COBison at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge in Denver, CO

The Sutro Baths in San Francisco, CAThe Sutro Baths in San Francisco, CA

Most importantly, I've learned to appreciate the beautiful details in all the gardens, beaches, fields, and forests that I've had the pleasure of exploring. A key catalyst in that has been in part due to excellent initiatives by other Local Guides, such as the Clean the World project, which encourages us to consider contributions such as highlighting what places are doing to be eco-friendly or hosting and participating in volunteer clean-up meet-ups.

Cleanliness is critical to keeping these places beautiful.Cleanliness is critical to keeping these places beautiful.

Naturally being a Guide, I love food (especially donuts!) and taking photos that make me drool when I look upon them months later, but there is a special, reminiscent feeling when I see my photos from my nature adventures and remember the exact feeling I had at that time. That is a special feeling and one that would not be possible without the Local Guides program encouraging me to appreciate what Mother Nature has created. 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Miami, FL, USA
9 comments
Level 8

Re: A Breath of Fresh Air: Embracing Nature Through Local Guides

@SP31  your post is so on point. I've myself experienced this that as a local guide exploring parks and sights have brought me closer to nature. I have discovered some really good spots in my city and also other cities through Google Maps. 

Really liked the pictures taken by you, hope to visit those sites one day 🙂 

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much, @AIMAN_SAEED ☺️

Level 10

Hi @SP31 This is really awesome story. I like your post very much. Thank you very much for your valuable story sharing with us ❤️

Regards

Omar

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Connect Moderator

Many thanks, @OmarBD !

Level 9

@SP31  Beautiful photos ! 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Niv1234 !

Level 6

Hi @SP31 ! I really like your post, wonderful photos. I love to travel to known different cities, but what I like most is appreciate the local nature. And the Clean World Project is an amazing idea, we all have the responsibility to take care of our planet.

Cheers!

Level 7

Thanks you for your wonderful photos  i relly like that in my country Iran there is lots of beautiful places and kind people. I like to show you  😊

Level 7

Amazing!!.

Cheers!

_Sebastián_