kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

8 outrageous desserts Local Guides love

A scoop of ice cream, a cupcake, a cookie—these are all reasonable desserts for when you’re craving something sweet. But this is not a list of reasonable desserts. Instead, these are the spots Local Guides head to when they want a sweet feast of epic proportions. Get ready for a sugar-high!

Then, tell us in the comments below: where do you go for your favorite over-the-top dessert?

Sweet Rolled Tacos (Garden Grove, California)

This cheerful spot puts a sweet spin on tacos using rolled ice cream, taco-shell-shaped waffle cones, and over-the-top toppings.

Caption: A photo of brightly-colored pink and blue waffle cone “tacos” filled with ice cream and topped with multi-colored sprinkles, candy, cookies, and whipped cream from Sweet Rolled Tacos in Garden Grove, California. (Local Guide Sheila Sutton)Caption: A photo of brightly-colored pink and blue waffle cone “tacos” filled with ice cream and topped with multi-colored sprinkles, candy, cookies, and whipped cream from Sweet Rolled Tacos in Garden Grove, California. (Local Guide Sheila Sutton)

Local Guides say:

“This place definitely did not disappoint! Unique flavors, excellent presentation and friendly employees! Their rolled ice cream was rich and flavorful and their shakes were amazing also! All 4 of our kids absolutely enjoyed the experience.” - Local Guide Kelli Rust

Bob Bob Ricard (London, U.K.)

This stylish restaurant is known for its “Press for Champagne” buttons at each table, but we’re more interested in their “Chocolate Glory.” Pour hot chocolate over the golden chocolate sphere of this dessert to reveal brownies, berries, and more. 

Caption: A photo of restaurant Bob Bob Ricard’s “Chocolate Glory” dessert, which features a gold-dusted sphere of chocolate with hot chocolate streaming down the sides, melting it to reveal the treats inside. (Local Guide Hitesh Choudhary)Caption: A photo of restaurant Bob Bob Ricard’s “Chocolate Glory” dessert, which features a gold-dusted sphere of chocolate with hot chocolate streaming down the sides, melting it to reveal the treats inside. (Local Guide Hitesh Choudhary)

Local Guides say:

“Beautiful Russian pub-like decor, champagne button and perfectly cooked beef Wellington. Get their special chocolate dessert!” - Local Guide Aankhi Mukherjee

Black Tap (New York City, New York)

While it started off as a burger joint, Black Tap shot to fame for its enormous “Crazy Shakes,” which are milkshakes decorated with candy, cookies, or even a slice of cake. Get them in flavors like “Cotton Candy,” “Brooklyn Blackout,” and “The Cake Shake.”

Caption: A photo of Black Tap’s “Cotton Candy Crazy Shake” that features a pink milkshake in a glass decorated with icing and round candies, as well as pink and blue cotton candy, a pink and white lollipop, and pink rock candy on top. (Local Guide Kenichi Shimada)Caption: A photo of Black Tap’s “Cotton Candy Crazy Shake” that features a pink milkshake in a glass decorated with icing and round candies, as well as pink and blue cotton candy, a pink and white lollipop, and pink rock candy on top. (Local Guide Kenichi Shimada)

Local Guides say:

“BEST MILKSHAKES EVER. 🐄🍪🍪😋 Tourists and locals alike should check out this gem. Great food and vibe, and most importantly, THE SHAKES ARE EPIC. Perfect for date night.😍

- Local Guide Jonathan Ritter

Totti Candy Factory (Tokyo, Japan)

Located in Shibuya, Totti Candy Factory is known for its massive servings of rainbow-colored cotton candy, where each color is a different flavor.

Caption: A photo of a Totti Candy Factory employee handing a customer a large cone of multi-colored cotton candy served on a stick with the shop’s bright pink walls in the background. (Local Guide サニーテディ)Caption: A photo of a Totti Candy Factory employee handing a customer a large cone of multi-colored cotton candy served on a stick with the shop’s bright pink walls in the background. (Local Guide サニーテディ)

Local Guides say: 

“Massive cotton candy here! I literally just wanted to take a picture but it turns out I finished the entire thing super quick cause the different candy flavours were delicious! As pretty as it looks, definitely a one time visit for me since it's too much sugar! There's always a lineup!” - Local Guide Lisa Zhou

Non Entrée Dessert Cafe (Farrer Park, Singapore)

Solely focused on sweet things, this charming cafe serves up desserts that could pass for works of art. One of the most popular is the “Matcha Avalanche” which uses the molten center of a lava cake to make a sauce for the ice cream below it.

Caption: A photo of a cup of coffee and Non Entrée Dessert Cafe’s “Match Avalanche,” which consists of a matcha-flavored lava cake balanced with candy on top of a glass over a scoop of ice cream. (Local Guide James Loo)Caption: A photo of a cup of coffee and Non Entrée Dessert Cafe’s “Match Avalanche,” which consists of a matcha-flavored lava cake balanced with candy on top of a glass over a scoop of ice cream. (Local Guide James Loo)

Local Guides say: 

“Extremely creative dessert. Loved the matcha avalanche ... the strong blend of matcha went very well with the azuki beans…” - Local Guide Granny Tan

Giapo (Auckland, New Zealand)

This beloved ice cream shop is known for its out-there scoops, but “The Colossal Squid” tops them all. Created as a tribute to the Te Papa Museum, the squid is made out of hollow, 3D-printed chocolate.

Caption: A photo of New Zealand ice cream shop Giapo’s “The Colossal Squid.” The dessert consists of an ice cream cone dipped in chocolate, nuts, and dried fruit with large chocolate pieces in the shape of a squid attached to the ice cream. (Local Guide Mohit)Caption: A photo of New Zealand ice cream shop Giapo’s “The Colossal Squid.” The dessert consists of an ice cream cone dipped in chocolate, nuts, and dried fruit with large chocolate pieces in the shape of a squid attached to the ice cream. (Local Guide Mohit)

Local Guides say:

“Giapo "The Colossal Squid!!!" This masterpiece was an inspiration from the colossal squid at Te Papa Museum. The whole body was created using 3D printing technology and the tentacles and fins are hollow rather than solid – to avoid death by chocolate! It took an astounding 18 months to create this masterpiece wammy which sits on top of the cone. A must try one a kind creation which tastes even better than it looks...” - Local Guide Mohit

Black Star Pastry (Sydney, Australia)

This Sydney bakeshop is known for its towering, multi-layered watermelon cake that combines rose-scented cream with watermelon and strawberries for a light, refreshing summer dessert.

Caption: A photo of Sydney pastry shop Black Star Pastry’s strawberry watermelon cake, which consists of layers of a type of almond meringue, rose-scented cream, watermelon, and strawberries, topped with pistachios and dried rose petals. (Local Guide Christine Lee)Caption: A photo of Sydney pastry shop Black Star Pastry’s strawberry watermelon cake, which consists of layers of a type of almond meringue, rose-scented cream, watermelon, and strawberries, topped with pistachios and dried rose petals. (Local Guide Christine Lee)

Local Guides say:

“We went to the Black Star pastry exclusively for try the strawberry watermelon cake. It's absolutely fantastic. It's really fresh and it makes you want more, more and more...If you are around Sydney, don't miss the chance to try a bit of this cake!” - Local Guide Emiliano Biondi

The Duchess (Amsterdam, Netherlands)

Are you a chocolate lover? Then look no further than The Duchess’s “Chocolate Explosion.” This gorgeous restaurant utilizes liquid nitrogen in this dessert to break open a chocolate shell stuffed with chocolate macarons, brownies, mousse, and more.

Caption: A photo of Amsterdam restaurant The Duchess’s “Chocolate Explosion” dessert, which features a smashed chocolate shell filled with chocolate cookies, mousse, and more chocolate. (Local Guide Devin Kanzler)Caption: A photo of Amsterdam restaurant The Duchess’s “Chocolate Explosion” dessert, which features a smashed chocolate shell filled with chocolate cookies, mousse, and more chocolate. (Local Guide Devin Kanzler)

Local Guides say:

“...Great atmosphere and a very high standard. The Chocolate Explosion, Espresso martini and the foie gras Donuts were my absolute Highlight. A must go to, when in Amsterdam.” - Local Guide Chris Jebens

Have you been to any of these spots?

30 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 8 outrageous desserts Local Guides love

No, never have been at any of this spots, but I‘m lucky enough to have a lot of dessert loving colleagues 😋

Today this and home made is always special tasty 😋 

1FE19287-0136-4801-9A71-12F73C47026F.jpeg

Question is only: Who took the first piece??? Can’t remember 🧐🤔

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

They look amazing! Thank you for sharing @kmajewski 🙂

I haven't been to any of those spots but I hope to someday.

The most over-the-top dessert I have tried is from Goodstën Creamery in Buenos Aires. It's similar to ice cream. You can pick the flavours you want, I picked unicorn flavour (just because it was weird), chocolate flavour and added cookie dough, oreos, and star sprinkles.Goodsten Creamery.jpg

Level 8

Oh my goodness! Some of those are really waaay over the top. That reminds me of an one day famous student meal in campus pub: pizza tatranchito - basically a pizza bread loaded with Nutella, chocolate bars (Tatranka) and M&M's - an experience I definitelly wouldn't like to repeat...

Level 8

@kmajewski thanks for sharing with us this sweet post 

I love  chocolates like wow

Now I know the right place 

kaliroalex
Level 9

Thanks @kmajewski

For sharing They look amazing

Cheers

Saudi local guide 🇸🇦

Level 3

great!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Level 10

Hey @kmajewski thanks a lot for share mouthwatering desserts . now i share my few collection hope you like this 🙂 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10
Level 10

All of that it seems so delicious!! @kmajewski

Here my contribution:

The Chocolate Line in Antwerpen (Brussels)

There are a lot of amazing and outrageous desserts

Cheers

Level 9

Never got a chance to visit any of them.

But here is mine

https://goo.gl/maps/Yu1TcNYrkZu