Saint_Sennheiser's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

7 floors without a stair? Yes, possible! Breathtaking Le Corbusier

I was unbelievably lucky to have a chance to visit the Tsentrosoyuz building - the only house built by the famous architect Le Corbusier in Russia. His project won the international competition in 1929 and he visited Moscow two times in two years, but later after the failure in another competition he finished his relations with the Soviet Union, the building was finished without him for 1936.

Although he inspired the whole unique style in architecture known as soviet avantgarde or the constructivism, some architects corresponded with Le Corbusier. We can see some of his ideas closer or not to what he meant in other places, but Tsentrosoyuz is the only place he planned himself. Let's see what's inside!the most famous thing is walk ways between the floorsthe most famous thing is walk ways between the floors There are several independent volumes of space - with three floors and with seven floors. They're connected, but they have their own entrance from two streets. Fun fact - building was 180 degrees rotated while projecting.there's a view from a window to Myasnitskaya streetthere's a view from a window to Myasnitskaya street

the walkway between the volumesthe walkway between the volumes

the view to the facade to Sakharov Avethe view to the facade to Sakharov Ave

On the pictures above you can see the first floor looks different than others. Le Corbusier always left a free walk under the building, but while developing or even after some time most of the owners filled the first floors with offices or something. Here happened the same story.

He also voted for open spaces everywhere it is possible for having more light and air circulation. Now there're huge halls, but the offices on the floors are all separated. But the whole house still has a lot of light.the first floor hallthe first floor hall

okay, I lied a bit, there is a little stairway between two volumes (and a hidden fire stairway somewhere)okay, I lied a bit, there is a little stairway between two volumes (and a hidden fire stairway somewhere)

All the furniture are very minimalistic art-deco style. No useless decorations at all. Only handrails and lamps. It sounds boring but it changes attention point to the incredible geometry of the building itself. What a light and color play! What a feeling of something great!seven-floor walkway, very nice shades playseven-floor walkway, very nice shades play

20190316-IMG_20190316_125142.jpg

the start of a walkwaythe start of a walkway

two (or three) floor volume symmetrical walkwaystwo (or three) floor volume symmetrical walkways

they are connected but don't cross aech otherthey are connected but don't cross aech other

here was a pater-noster elevator, but now it's museumified and there's usual elevator next to ithere was a pater-noster elevator, but now it's museumified and there's usual elevator next to it

Now the building is occupied by the State Statistic Department and it's closed for visiting, only rare tour organizations can get an agreement for several hours for excursions.  I felt like winning a lottery. And it was more than worth seeing. Maybe even this house was worth a year of working in the Statistic Department.the monument in honor of the architect in front of his buildingthe monument in honor of the architect in front of his building

I also love the monument of Le Corbusier in front of the House. He looks so relaxed as he just left the building to have a break outside. 

Have anyone seen any of his houses anywhere? Would you like to work in space like this?

Don't criticize what you can't understand (Bob Dylan)

My photo tour to Le Corbusier House

|

my architectural Instagram

Федеральная служба государственной статистики, Мясницкая улица, Москва, Россия
13 comments
Level 10

Re: 7 floors without a stair? Yes, possible! Breathtaking Le Corbusier

Level 7

Hi! Thank you very much! 

Yes, it's like nothing else!

|

Level 7

The beautiful architecture looks amazing. Thanks for sharing @Saint_Sennheiser 

chandra mani
Level 5

Beautiful. I have seen a few of his house in France (Marseille) and in the UK. Unbelievably talented and before his time. 

Level 7

Thank you! I will google more about his works.

Yes, a lot of before his time. He moved all the architecture forward. 

I can't say I agree with him in all, I care about heritage too much. But so useful, looks very modern now, almost 100 years after.

|

Level 8

Great post @Saint_Sennheiser 

Level 7

Thank you!

|

Level 8

Hi @Saint_Sennheiser

Interesting building. It still looks so modern.

Regards from Slovakia.

Karol

Karol Tomasch
Level 9

Wonderful building @Saint_Sennheiser nice pictures thank you for sharing with us....