PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: 2018 The "36" Walk - Full List of Cities Announced!!

Happy anniversary for next week @Briggs should be a good walk. Hopefully yhe bushfires aren't anywhere near you.

Connect Moderator

One walk down and only a few days until the next batch. 

Leaders: As you come up to your walk hit your socials hard each day with an announcement both here on Connect and whatever social networks you use. To promote your walk on Connect post a reply to the existing announcement post and it will get pushed back up in the lists. Get hold of your friends and ask them to come along, get them to bring their friends. Make an announcement on your event 24 hours before your walk to remind people that it's coming up. If no-one shows up, that's ok, go solo and enjoy yourself.

Walkers: Start to think about how you're going to utilise the walk, remember that you've only got 36 shots - no one is going to check up on you - police yourself, if you cheat then you're only cheating you. For each scene you see that you want to photograph, before you point and click shape the scene using your hands,

• Consider what is in the frame, is there anything you don't want in the frame - thinks like bright light sources, cars, garish signs, people, etc.
  • Get down low, if possible up high, take some steps either direction to find the best angle
  • If you're shooting a building align either the top with the top of the frame or the side with the side of the frame - don't try both
  • Look out for high levels of contrast and try to avoid them unless you're aiming for some nice architectural shadows
  • When you're happy hit that button
  • Try not to chimp afterwards by looking at the photo - move on, chimping makes us second guess ourselves and take more shots "just in case"

Everyone: 

• Have fun!!
  • After your walk the leader will do the official recap
  • I invite all walkers to choose your two or three favourite images and share them in a post to the Photos and Discoveries board with a bit of your experience on the walk.

Regards Paul

Level 9

36 WALK

What is 36 photo walk??

@PaulPavlinovich

Level 9

Re: 36 WALK

Hey @ShravanJain,

Thanks for sharing the post. The 36 photo walk means we are woing to take the 360 photos of the places. The 36 is 360 photo. 

Regards 

Ravindranath Sawane

India
Connect Moderator

Re: 36 WALK

Hi @Ravisawane while the images certainly could be 360's they certainly do not have to be. The "36" refers to the maximum number of photos you can talk on your photowalk @ShravanJain

In today's digital world there is little expense to taking 100s or even 1000s of images when we go out someplace. When reviewing people's contributions on Maps we often see the same building, meal or place repeated many times from the same person, each shot almost identical to the previous one and all were taken within a few minutes of each other. Taking a great many images makes us a bit lazy (and I do mean us, I do it too) - we just shoot and shoot. I learned photography in the days of film and the main feature was the limitation in the number of shots and the cost of developing the film and making prints. Even if you did it yourself it was an expensive business.This constraint of shots per roll of film (typically 8, 12, 24 or 36) plus the actual cost of each shot forced us to slow down, to think about each shot and to only press that button when we really wanted something badly enough to use the shot.

The idea of The 36 Walk is to re-introduce that constraint into our photo workflow so that we slow down, think more, and perhaps make better images as a result.

I'll move this post and this reply onto The 36 Walk announcement to help keep Connect organised.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Good news there is another city 

Mississauga (Canada) The 36 Walk

Leader: Rohitha Fernando @RohithaF
21 Apr 4pm-6pm
Meetup: https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup/the-36-walk-mississauga
Announcement: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/The-36-Walk-Mississauga/m-p/754108

Canadians - get into the game and join in this 36 Walk!

Level 8

Congratulations on achieving such great success in this program.

Although I missed this time as entries are closed, would love to be a part of this unique initiative in a lead role for my City next time.

Regards,

Amit Surana

Connect Moderator

You can still do it @amitsurana but I'd suggest do it in a week or two so you've got plenty of time to plan and get guests to come.

Level 8

Could you guide me on how to go about it, also keeping in mind that I will be travelling from 5th May to 17th May and will not be in Bangalore.

Do I need to do it before 5th May or can I do it after 17th May.

Also guide me on the kind of place I should choose.

Regards,

Amit Surana

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

Yesterday was a funny day.

I'm collecting photos to do the recap . 

We keep in touch soon ...The team 225 during the 36 walkThe team 225 during the 36 walk

#team225 @WilfriedRG @YKOÏTA @NarcisseTEHIA @Bouadi@EbickNgoma@Bayal@Fr2K@OholiabK@JoshuaAmemou