Sophia_Cambodia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

ផ្លែគរ/ដើមគរ Kapok in season now

ផ្លែគរ/ដើមគរ read as Kor, English/French name is Kapok, (Ceiba pentandra), also called Java cotton, ceiba, or Java kapok, silk-cotton, samauma, or ceiba.

The kapok is a tall tree of the tropical forest canopy and emergent layer. It is common species throughout the tropics, but it is native to Africa and was transported to Asia and then have been cultivated for its fiber, or floss. In full sun, the kapok can grow up to 4 meters (13 feet) per year, eventually reaching a height of 50 meters (164 feet). When it bears fruits, it has no leaves at all. Tree are grown countrywide.Young Kapok fruitYoung Kapok fruitSeason of Kapok fruitSeason of Kapok fruit

Benefits:

• Young fruit, can be eaten - yummy
  • Leaves (in the past) people scratch it with water and use its juice as a shampoo for hair washing.
  • Fiber from ripe fruit use to stuff in the pillow/mattress – very soft and healthy. Very important and expensive too. A kilo of cotton from it is around 3$
  • Tree as firewood
Prey Veng, Cambodia
6 comments
Level 9

Re: ផ្លែគរ/ដើមគរ Kapok in season now

Really?

I don't  think I ever saw it, Sophia @Sophia_Cambodia

Sophia, say hi to me at our 'meeting point, was looking out for you but for some reason, I missed you

Connect Moderator

Sorry dear @Ewaade_3A starting new job this week so I am kind of getting stuck at learning everything now!

Level 9

Wow! Congrats Sophia! I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU. @Sophia_Cambodia 

Connect Moderator

Level 9

At your pace  my dear.

As long as I am in the shop, I have time but if I have to go to the market, there is no way I can be on Connect. @Sophia_Cambodia 

Connect Moderator