Mr_Ian's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Wrongly associated photos not being reviewed correctly by Google

Just a quick one.

I live nearby to the following location: https://goo.gl/s3w5kU (Queens Park Botanic Gardens in Toowoomba). I've repeatedly flagged several photos that are either a) in another country and have been added in error or b) the user has just ticked 'add' to Google's recommended location which is also incorrect. For example the cover image is in fact inside the Cob & Co History museum and not in the park.

My question is: As Local Guides I would hope that we are given some more latitude in terms of our local knowledge but it seems the reviewers are either not paying enough attention or our flagging is not being accepted as trustworthy, especially if we are a local. Its no joke when I say I spent a good 30 - 45 minutes flagging dozens of photos to the point that I had to do 4-5 ReCaptcha screens for EACH photo only to check back some weeks later and see that the majority of them are still there.

I hope this improves in the future.

Queen's Park Botanic Gardens, Lindsay Street, East Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Wrongly associated photos not being reviewed correctly by Google

I agree with you.

The entire reporting experience is time consuming.

It's better on Google Maps for iOS/Android, anyway still not a perfect experience.

Please, support my Feature Request: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/FR-Multiple-spam-user-report/m-p...

Level 8

I'm starting to get a bit sick of this. The more I look at locations around my city that have a photo of a man's car for sale or a dog in a backyard etc that are clearly not relevant to a location in any way makes me really angry purly because I know, based off past experience that the Google staff reviewing these are taking over a month to 'review' a photo or are rejecting the report. @BruceDM @TraciC we need more power to better the quality of information and pictures in our local areas instead of relying on a Google staff member who doesn't know it as well. What can be done about this? Do we not have a high enough trust level? Please don't take my rant as a dig at either of you personally. It's just frustrating reporting these things and not to have and action taken on them. I really want to give my time but am disappointed to see it wasted and it discourages your guides.

Level 7

@LucioV and @Mr_Ian

That's why I made the suggestion that Google needs a comment addition to the report feature so guides can actually tell them why it was reported.

FYI = I'am sick of it to , re-reporting duplicate places and other things due to them not appearing as duplicates though they are.

Without a comment addition, I can't tell Google why it's a duplicate and what it's a duplicate of.

Anyway, take a look at my suggestion here ( Report System on Google Maps Flawed Re : Need addition of comment section. )

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Mr_Ian,

Thanks for sharing your concerns.  You're doing all the right things as far as flagging pictures and the process can be slow at times but it does work. One can also imagine situations where if Google Maps auto-removed everything flagged that there would be many bad agents out there that abuse that privilege. For that reason there are many automated checks and balances and also the human review that can take some time. We wrote about this some time back and we can only ask your patience while we clean up Google Maps together!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

Thanks for your reply @BruceDM. It's a real shame though that some have made hundreds of edits, added thousands of photos and written so many reviews yet still have to wait in line like everybody else. At the very least it should be easier for a reviewer to make a decision regarding a flagged photo or information when it comes from a Local Guide. The information is usually of a higher level of quality and the person has either visited recently or lives there and has a greater level of knowledge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree completely with this topic. It is so frustrating when we need to pay so much attention to reporting photos, on mobile is much easier but it definitely doesn't have needed effect. Something need to be done