d-neuf's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Photo Placement

I'm wondering about how new photos are placed among the photos already there. Logically, new photos would go to the bottom, but I don't find this to be the case. Is it known which atributes would make a photo be placed higher up? Also, does the business owner have a say in which photos show up at the top of the business listing? Can the owner delete unwanted photos? Just curious about the way this works.

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Photo Placement

@d-neuf hi .. 

Yes , if any place verified  By Google my Business listing  ... its owner can mark any photos for the top to visible for all ... 

But Business owner don't able to delete or remove any photos which are added by other user ..

He/ she can make a flag to send a report to the local guide team if anyone add any inappropriate content ..... 

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

@d-neuf hi .. 

Yes , if any place verified  By Google my Business listing  ... its owner can mark any photos for the top to visible for all ... 

But Business owner don't able to delete or remove any photos which are added by other user ..

He/ she can make a flag to send a report to the local guide team if anyone add any inappropriate content ..... 

Level 7

I have not been doing this for long but I think that it is reasonable to assume that the Google algorithm puts a high resolution, properly exposed image with good contrast nearer the top than one that it not.

From observation of how the algorithm treats my images I think ones that includes some foreground and background context are prefered.

I also suspect that an image that gets opened by a lot of clicks gets moved up the table.

As yet I have not taken enough images to properly evaluate - but it is possible that if the location is a restaurant a photosphere of the interior gets bonus points.

An image taken by the person who has succesfully 'claimed this business' trumps all.

On a related note - is there an official name for the image at the top of the table, the cover photo that eveybody sees without future clicks?

Level 7

The answers do clear up some mysteries. 

Owner placement explains why some of my images jumped in views. One of them wasn't even very good... not real sharp. It was a borderline choice to submit it since I like to only show my best pictures on Maps.

The likely parameters for the placement algorithm of resolution, exposure, contrast, etc. make sense. I wonder if adding a text description helps. 

Level 8

Hi @d-neuf,

Not sure, but when I see photos with a Caption indicator, I usually will open it.