EhsanD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Inconsistency between Google Maps and Google Earth: The case of historical imagery

Hello,

Google Maps supports historical imagery in STREET VIEW while does not support it in MAP VIEW; on the other hand, Google Earth supports historical imagery in MAP VIEW while does not support it in STREET VIEW. Please see following screenshots. In other words, the time slider is not available in Google Maps MAP VIEW and Google Earth STREET VIEW.

Why? What is the reason behind it?

Personal reason for asking: for a research project we needed some road features which they could sometimes be captured/counted/measured/checked for multiple years in either Map View or Street View depending on the particular feature (for example whether an intersection was signalized between 2008-10) but because of this inconsistency between Google Maps and Google Earth for historical imagery we had to install Google Earth for all undergraduate students who were working on the study. They sometimes needed to switch between two environments for a particular site (either roadway segment or intersection).

That would be great if historical imagery could be provided for both environments in a similar way.

Thank you

Google Maps: available historical imagery in Street View

GM_1.JPG

Google Earth: available historical imagery in Map View

GE_1.JPG

3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Inconsistency between Google Maps and Google Earth: The case of historical imagery

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @EhsanD,

Yes, there are lots of feature in-consistences among Maps and Earth.  Even among Maps on different platforms:  Android Maps, Desktop Maps and iOS Maps.

And also add MapMaker to the list (although not for too long), @YK1001 

@EhsanD, as far as I can see there has been a trend to make the differences narrower between the different platforms during the last decade or so. Obviously the underlying technology was (is) so different between maps and GE that the featurescould not be the same. Actually, acquiring keyhole (the "predecessor" of GE) was the first step towards transporting its features into the web application (later different mobile) platform. 

Let's just hope that most of the features will be shared in the future. We are actually in the midst of a similar "merging" of two platforms (for editing maps): MapMaker is closing in two days and its features have already started to appear in maps. No-one knows of course, when everything will appear - and also when GE and Maps will be completely similar.

View solution in original post

Level 8

Re: Inconsistency between Google Maps and Google Earth: The case of historical imagery

Hi @EhsanD,

Yes, there are lots of feature in-consistences among Maps and Earth.  Even among Maps on different platforms:  Android Maps, Desktop Maps and iOS Maps.

Level 10
Solution

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @EhsanD,

And also add MapMaker to the list (although not for too long), @YK1001 

@EhsanD, as far as I can see there has been a trend to make the differences narrower between the different platforms during the last decade or so. Obviously the underlying technology was (is) so different between maps and GE that the featurescould not be the same. Actually, acquiring keyhole (the "predecessor" of GE) was the first step towards transporting its features into the web application (later different mobile) platform. 

Let's just hope that most of the features will be shared in the future. We are actually in the midst of a similar "merging" of two platforms (for editing maps): MapMaker is closing in two days and its features have already started to appear in maps. No-one knows of course, when everything will appear - and also when GE and Maps will be completely similar.

Level 8

Hey @Csaba

Thanks for detailed response.

Yes, I also recently saw some of Map Maker features in the Google Maps but I am not sure all MM features would be soon in GM but I think an integrated environment would be better; however, I wish there was a way to transfer contributions from MM into points in GM when MM will be down forever. I did very few edits on MM but some people did tons of amazing time consuming contributions.