Sarojdhakal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Google Maps Business names Translation Side effect

Hi Local Guides,

I want to give context with my name , it is "सरोज" in Nepali which in English exactly means "Lotus" but if someone asks my name in English I'll say "Saroj" not "Lotus" because proper nouns are generally not translated but transliterated. Let's talk about few more examples :

• अमृत चिया पसल ( अमृत(Amrit) = Elixir,  चिया (Chiya) = Tea,  पसल (Pasal) = Shop)  but in English it'll be written Amrit Tea Shop part of the name translated but portion of it ( Amrit) not translated but transliterated. 
  • मित्र बुक्स एन्ड स्टेस्नरीमित्र (Mitra) = Friend, बुक्स (Books)= Books, एन्ड (and)=  And ,स्टेस्नरी (Stationery) = Stationery) but in English it'll be written as Mitra Books and Stationery instead of Friend Books and Stationery.

Good news is that there have been a great contributions via Crowdsource app on Map Translations, but I see thousands of Business Names in Kathmandu are damaged beyond repair because contributors are not properly instructed and shown how it works and how it has to work. They just do the straightforward translations which does not help map.

I just want to point out few examples  visually :

Ambassador Garden Home : 

Explanation : All the words are translated which sounds weird in Nepal, it's also a trademark violation. Similar to  Google doesn't allow it's name to be translated in other languages.

Ambassador Garden Home (en)Ambassador Garden Home (en)Ambassador Garden Home (ne)Ambassador Garden Home (ne)

Bhangeri Durbar Khaja Ghar:

Bhangeri Durbar Khaja Ghar (ne)Bhangeri Durbar Khaja Ghar (ne)Bhangeri Khaja Ghar (en)Bhangeri Khaja Ghar (en) 

Yeti Cave 

Yeti Cave (en)Yeti Cave (en)Yeti Cave (ne)Yeti Cave (ne)

Pagoda Labs (ne)Pagoda Labs (ne)Pagoda Labs (en)Pagoda Labs (en)

These are just few examples. I suggest contributions have to go through:

1. invigilators and validations 
  2. Contributors should be instructed and briefed how it works

cc @TraciC@PremPaul@NirajBhusal@BishowvijayaP@SovitaD

Bhaktapur, Central Development Region, Nepal
10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Google Maps Business names Translation Side effect

@Sarojdhakal - Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to inform you that our relevant internal teams are aware of the issue and are actively working on addressing the same. In case you weren't aware, there is an option available on the Place sheet under 'suggest an edit', that you could use in the meanwhile to report incorrect translations.

View solution in original post

Level 9

Ya @Sarojdhakal ji

There are many erros on Nepali names as well in English name which are translated. 

I think we have to make some decisions regarding naming. Lets do that on next meet up. And lets make some rules for all mappers as well to all crowdsource users. Google LG Team should help us to convey this message to all Nepali LGS' .

Pushpendra nepal Nepal Local Guide | My Contributions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

@Sarojdhakal - Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to inform you that our relevant internal teams are aware of the issue and are actively working on addressing the same. In case you weren't aware, there is an option available on the Place sheet under 'suggest an edit', that you could use in the meanwhile to report incorrect translations.

Level 10

Very important issue is being raised @Sarojdhakal bro. Thanks for this.

There needs a process to lock the best name as now anyone can edit the name even if the name is written in right format.

Level 8

Hi @Brett,

It seems this is the same issue we just discussed during our Meet-up.  The English name of the HK Style restaurants got renamed as Dim Sum restaurants in English.

I hope Google will be able to fix all affected POIs worldwide.

Level 9

@PushpendraKhadka Agree with you. Probably we should help fix them but the change is so big we probably can't take in control.

Level 7

@PremPaul, same issue in Bengali without the option to edit. I guess before publishing the names live better get them reviewed by the natives.

Level 8

This is a great write @Sarojdhakal .... I think we can find this issue in many languages..

one solution i see is fact checking names by nepali guides but i guess they already do that.

we all should promote this isssue as much as we can...

Level 10

Any update on this issue? Its a huge impact to Maps users.

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Level 8

@PremPaul , @Sarojdhakal many thanks for your discussion.
But what do say on my reply on This thread ? Actually "suggest an edit" will be a never ending task in the country like India.