Top 100 Local Guides Spotlight #8 - JustJake


Caption: A photo of Jake on set for a music video shoot

Introduction:

Hello, Local Guides, and welcome back for our eighth epic installment in the “Top 100 Local Guides Spotlight” series! This month, we’re swapping the quiet life of an insurance accountant for the high-octane world of a mapping master!

Joining us from the sunny streets of Scottsdale, Arizona, please give a huge virtual welcome to the one and only Just Jake! Jake is a 10-year Local Guide veteran, a proud father of three, a dedicated member of #TeamPixel, and—fun fact—a former punk/metal drummer! He brings that same energy to mapping, where he finds his zen by drawing new roads over his morning coffee. Jake is the community’s anonymous fixer, the road warrior, and the epitome of “I am who I am.”

So, let’s step away from the spreadsheets and dive into the world of the Local Guide who keeps it simple, keeps it fun, and proves that sometimes, being a mapping superstar is just what happens when you’re… well, @JustJake!

The Interview:

1 - Where on Earth do you call home?

“I’m soaking up the sun in the United States, specifically in Scottsdale, Arizona! It’s the perfect base for my mapping adventures.”


Caption: JustJake enjoying the mild Arizona fall in Scottsdale, AZ.

2. What do you do when you’re not rocking the Local Guides world?

“In the real world, I’m a mild-mannered financial accountant in the insurance industry. Don’t worry, I make sure to save the excitement for my Local Guide hobbies! Most importantly, I’m the proud, busy father of three young kids, ages 6, 4, and 1. Life outside of mapping is pretty much a happy, beautiful, controlled chaos.”


Caption: JustJake getting the royal treatment on his birthday with a cake made by his 3 kids



Caption: @JustJake being Just Jake in a bathtub.


3. How and when did you dive into the Local Guides adventure?

“I’m officially hitting my 10-year mark as a Local Guide in 2025! It all started with my love for photography and travel. My wife and I used to cram so many experiences into every trip, and I found that Maps was the perfect place to track my location and share a visitor’s-eye view. This naturally evolved into reviews, badge hunting, finding Local Guides Connect, and eventually discovering the fun challenge (definitely not a competition!) that the Leaderboards offer. Once I found the Connect community, this hobby went from fits and starts to full-blown passion.”

4. What gets you fired up about being a Local Guide?

“I contribute to literally every category available on Maps, but the biggest thrill is being the anonymous fixer. Just the other day, a friend was frustrated because the bait shop he needed was showing up as ‘permanently closed.’ I was able to jump in, confirm the closure, and remove the misleading listing. There is something deeply satisfying about swooping in like a silent superhero and leaving the map better than I found it!”

5. Is there any special meaning about or behind how or why you chose your Connect username?

“Absolutely! The name Just Jake stems from a long-running joke at my company. When a Director (in an office where 90% of the staff are women) heard a man’s voice, she came out looking for the source and said, ‘Oh, I thought so-and-so was here, but it’s just Jake.’ From then on, I was JJ. I adopted it as my moniker because it perfectly reflects how I feel: I’m not anyone more important or recognizable than anyone else. I’m lowkey, and any success I’ve found in the Connect community comes from the support I’ve received here. I’m not special or more deserving than any other active Local Guide. I’m just Jake :person_shrugging::joy:.”

6. What epic message would you love to share with your fellow Local Guides?

“Make sure you are having a good time! There are so many ways to make a positive impact—photos, reviews, edits, roads—so don’t get burned out by hyper-focusing on just one. Spend time exploring and experimenting. Also, please take the title and badge of Local Guide seriously. Use the amazing resources available on Connect to learn how to create the absolute best contributions. Learn from this community, and you will become a great Local Guide.”

7. What’s your absolute favorite type of contribution and why does it rock?

“I love drawing and editing roads! I get a massive kick out of the entire process, from finding an unmapped area to connecting it to the main network and watching for that final approval. In fact, adding roads has become my morning meditation. I sit for about 20 minutes each morning with a cup of coffee and work on Road Mapper or the Live Map. It’s incredibly calming!”

8. Which is your favourite all time contribution and why do you like it?

“While I can’t pick a single favorite, the one I interact with the most is my photo at Luna Park in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York. It’s my official Star Photo, and I’ve been tracking its view count every single month for almost three years now—it’s become a fun personal ritual!”

9. Spill the beans! What gear do you use to create your amazing media contributions?

“I’m #TeamPixel all the way! I’m currently armed with the Pixel 10 Pro XL. It’s the perfect tool for capturing those anonymous fixer moments.”

10. What do you like most about the Local Guides Community, Connect?

“It’s incredible to have such a large community that genuinely shares this passion for Maps. It’s hard for people outside the hobby to understand what I’m doing and why, so finding a dedicated community on Connect that celebrates and supports one another’s contributions is invaluable. The best part is finding the niche groups within the larger community—I’ve formed bonds with people from all over the world. Meeting so many of them at Connect Live in New York was an absolute treat; it felt so natural to finally meet in person!”


Caption: @JordanBurleson, @AZ_2021, @Mikeinthefalls and @JustJake posing at ConnectLIVE: NYC



Caption: @JustJake, @Mikeinthefalls and @MelTG hanging out in the Chelsea Market Google Store in New York City


11. Which particular Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboard do you like most and why?

“I’m a huge fan of the Movers & Shakers Board. While the boards are meant for encouragement, not competition, I still enjoy seeing everyone’s monthly progress. And yes, it’s always fun to aim for the top! Especially during the TRAC season, when our team effort absolutely dominates the Points board on Movers and Shakers—that’s a great feeling.”

12. Are there any new Leaderboards or features that you’d like to see?

“Honestly, the natural evolution of the Leaderboards has been perfect. The Connect community finds ways to generate a buzz around a new idea, and then @AdamGT just magically makes it happen! I couldn’t ask for anything better.”

13. What is your favorite holiday destination and what do you like about it?

“My wife and I are completely enamored with the Netherlands. Before we had kids, we made it a tradition to travel to Europe yearly, and we always based ourselves in Amsterdam to explore the country. Our favorite spot is Haarlem, a beautiful town just outside the city. It’s the perfect place to escape the bustle, but close enough for a quick train ride into the city. Plus, it’s near the beach, parks, and my absolute favorite wine shop, Melger’s, where I can always find a few bottles of the world’s greatest Trappist Beer, Westvleteren.”


Caption: @JustJake at Haarlem, his favorite holiday destination in Amsterdam


13. What destination in the world would you just love to one day visit?

“I would love to take a trip to Australia. It’s on my mother’s bucket list, and I would love to make that dream come true for her. Plus, if I ask nicely, I know a guy :wink: :wink: who might be willing to show us around Melbourne.”


Caption: Street art displayed on a wall in Melbourne’s Southbank Promenade (LG: @AdamGT)

15. What’s a super fun fact about you that might surprise us?

“I am a failed musician! I played drums in Punk and Metal bands for almost 30 years and, sadly, never made a career out of it. While I call it ‘failed’ because I never found success in music, doing what I love with my best friends was truly worth more than anything. I can always make money reading numbers in a boardroom, but nothing matches the excitement of being on a stage!”


Caption: A couple of photos showing Jake drumming it with fellow guitarists.

Wrapping up:

What an exciting look into the world of @JustJake! From finding his morning zen in Road Mapper and dedicating his time to being the Map’s anonymous fixer, to his dream to visit you know who in Melbourne, and his secret life as a punk drummer, Jake truly brings a fantastic energy to the Local Guides community. His message is clear: have fun, focus on quality, and remember that we are all part of this incredible family.

And with that, we’re wrapping up another unforgettable “Spotlight on Local Guide” feature! As we continue to celebrate the diverse talents and incredible backstories of our community members, we’re already buzzing with excitement about who we’ll feature next. Which amazing Top 100 Local Guide will step into the limelight and share their unique journey in our next edition? You’ll just have to keep your eyes peeled for our next post to find out! Until then, keep exploring, keep contributing, and keep being the amazing Local Guides you are!

Previous spotlight:

indahnuria

Next spotlight:

DshottDeninis


42 Likes

Amazing interview

2 Likes

Heartfelt congratulations, dear friend @JustJake, on being in the Top 100 Local Guides Spotlight. This is so well deserved. You are such a humble, supportive, and friendly person on Connect. I am so glad we have worked closely together on TRAC, Road Mapper, and the Top 100 activities.
Thank you, @AdamGT, for bringing us this great story about JustJake. It so inspiring for the community.

2 Likes

What a wonderful spotlight of one of my favorite Local Guides - @JustJake

After having the pleasure of spending a few days with Jake, the nickname is a truly fitting moniker. So much so that’s how he remains in my phone contacts!

While I already knew Jake to be a proud husband and father (he will show you at least 27 photos of his children, every time he takes his Pixel out of his jeans pocket) I had no idea that he spent 3 decades as a sticks man? :drum:

A very dedicated LG that has helped shaped road maps around the globe and he’s definitely deserving of this spotlight! :flashlight:

5 Likes

Did someone mentioned cat?! :cat_face:
Great interview @AdamGT of the always affable @JustJake , a man of many hats apparently, but will always be near and dear to me for his cactus gummies!! :rofl:

1 Like

Wow, wow, wow. Thank you very much for the spotlight, @AdamGT. This is an incredibly sweet way to finish out the year.

Thank you very much, Prasad. It almost seems like Adam found a way to make me seem kind of ‘cool.’ I’ll show the kids, and they’ll bring me back down to Earth. :laughing:

Now that’s funny! Is that why you never answer my calls? “Meh, it’s Just Jake.” :rofl:

Running around with you and Mel in NYC made that whole trip. I appreciate you guys opening up your travel plans to include me. Who knows, maybe we’ll bump into each other in Florida someday (in 6 months).

4 Likes

Should we have a competition for who is the ‘Best Cat Dad’? It can just be a count of how many strays we can befriend in one afternoon. I’ll warn you, though, that might also be one of my hobbies.

Hallo @JustJake, es ist sehr schön, dich näher kennenzulernen und das ganze Interview ist hervorragend gestaltet @AdamGT.
Ich wünsche weiterhin alles Gute!

1 Like

Waouh, un immense bravo pour ce Spotlight, @JustJake ! C’est vraiment cool d’en apprendre un peu plus sur ton parcours de Local Guide.
Je partage totalement ta passion pour les Pays-Bas et Amsterdam ! Tout comme toi, j’adore cet endroit ; l’ambiance des canaux est vraiment unique.
Et évidemment, vive la #TeamPixel ! Je suis moi aussi sur le Pixel 10 Pro XL, c’est une vraie bête de course pour les photos.
Merci d’apporter autant de bonne humeur à la communauté. Ne change rien !
Et merci aussi @AdamGT pour le choix de ce superbe coup de projecteur !

2 Likes

What a interview @AdamGT !

Great to know you more @JustJake
Congrats for the spotlight!

2 Likes

My hope is that each spotlight is interesting and fun and in your case @JustJake, your responses—especially the origin of “Just Jake,” your love for fixing the map, and your secret life as a failed punk/metal musician—were pure gold. By the way, thank you for granting me poetic licence regarding some of the wording on your replies :laughing:

In the meantime, I’m pleased to see that the community is loving it. Thank you @Trishatishu @Annaelisa @PrasadVR @Mikeinthefalls @AdrianLunsong @claude_richard and @efcxp for joining in with me to celebrate Jake’s unique journey.

7 Likes

@AdamGT what a nice interview, guys! @JustJake it was so cool to learn a little bit more about you, you hobbies and your musical taste! I was into punk rock back in high school (Sex Pistols, Rancid, Green Day) and metal as well, never played but I wish I had!.

2 Likes

@JustJake @AdamGT

Very nice interview, and nice pics of u. I have also been a musician all my life. Started piano at 4, wrote my first piece of music at 12, so. Yes so. When I saw this failed musician I must respond, however in a mild way.

Just playing an instrument is extremely rewarding and being in a band can magnify that. I would never call it failed because you never made it big though. But, I am thinking you don’t take it that way at all given the Just Jake reference and meaning.

Drum on!

3 Likes

Yet another amazing Spotlight episode @AdamGT

@JustJake It’s really inspiring to know about your journey on Maps and connect. The way you have integrated adding roads every morning along with a cup of coffee is brilliant, maybe I will find some similar way to dedicate sometime for this activity daily.

Your photo of Luna Park in Coney Island abso deserves the spot in Star Photos dashboard.
The story behind your moniker is indeed very interesting.

Dedicating 30 years of your life to do something you love isn’t something I would call failure, it’s certainly tough to know that it didn’t materialize. My best wishes for your amazing life, keep contributing @JustJake

3 Likes

Superb interview & questions @AdamGT

Congratulations on being more to me than @JustJake, you are a cool dude.

It’s pleasing & rewarding to get an inside into what it’s like to be such a high profile & respected Local Guide & specialist road mapper so thanks for sharing your insights & bright observations. I really appreciate your contributions on Connect & other forums especially your sense of humour & fun & inquisitive outlook on life.

2 Likes

@AdamGT Thank you for another incredible story, and wow, what stories! Thank you @JustJake for being an inspiration to us and for helping so many people around the world.
PS: The Netherlands really is an amazing country; it was one of my first travel destinations with my husband. Now we were waiting for our daughter to grow up more so she could go with us.

2 Likes

What a interview!

It’s great to learn more about @JustJake

It’s really fun and exciting when working on the Top 100 Local Guide Spotlight post. Homing in on key points and making the post interesting for everyone to read and enjoy is often a challenge so it is extremely rewording when the community feedback is so positive. In this regard, thank you for your encouraging comments @marcorp @StevenBerlin @Ssiddharth2000 @MarkAuchincloss @GasparKaren and @Luis_Felipe.

ps: I so agree with you @StevenBerlin that “Just playing an instrument is extremely rewarding and being in a band can magnify that” and from personal experience, I too “would never call it failed because you never made it big”.

4 Likes

@JustJake Congratulations, that’s a pretty cool interview. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Well, @AdamGT, I knew the Connect community was super supportive, but I never expected to get such a positive response. Thank you very much to @Luis_Felipe, @efcxp, @Annaelisa, and @jayasimha78 for the congrats and well wishes. Thank you for taking the time to read my conversation with Adam.

There is something very special about the setting and the people that makes my wife and I feel at home when we would go. I’m in the same boat as @GasparKaren in having to (impatiently) wait for the kids to be a bit older in order to travel back. Perhaps #EuroMeetup2030 can be scheduled for Amsterdam :wink:

By no stretch do I truly feel like I’ve failed at anything. I’ve had the time of my life. I’m not going to be able to keep up with @StevenBerlin in a jam session :joy: but I think I’ve learned a thing or two along the way. Plus, I don’t think I’d have this self-depricating sense of humor if not for 100s of nights playing loud music to vacant clubs and disinterested bar crowds. That’s a humbling experience that I always loved.

Thank you, Mark, but c’mon … I’m just Jake!

:sign_of_the_horns:

Great groups. There’s few things as fun as being in the crowd for those shows. I never made it to a Sex Pistols show, but I’ve seen Rancid many times, and Green Day back when they were still doing summer festivals.

8 Likes