The Most Viewed Photo in History


Caption: “Bliss”, the Most Viewed Photo in History

Beyond the Leaderboards: What Makes a Photo Truly Unforgettable?

While publishing the September Star Photo leaderboards here on Connect, I found myself thinking about view counts and what makes a photograph reach millions—or even billions—of eyes!

Did you know that the most viewed photograph in human history isn’t a world-famous piece hanging in a fine art gallery or an iconic historical snapshot? It’s a simple, unedited photo of rolling green hills under a bright blue sky.

You probably know it as “Bliss”—the default desktop wallpaper for Microsoft Windows XP.

The Story Behind "Bliss"

Taken in January 1996 by photographer Charles O’Rear, the image captures the lush green hills of the Sonoma Coast in California. O’Rear was on his way to visit his girlfriend (now wife) when he pulled over to shoot the landscape using a medium-format Mamiya RZ67 camera on Fujifilm.

What makes the photo remarkable is that it was completely unedited. The rich greens and vibrant blues were entirely natural, captured on high-quality film stock.

A few years later, Microsoft purchased the full rights to the image for an undisclosed six-figure sum—so valuable that no courier company would handle the original film due to insurance limits; O’Rear had to deliver it to Microsoft’s headquarters in person :slightly_smiling_face:

Billions of Views

When Windows XP launched in 2001, “Bliss” became the backdrop to everyday life for billions of computer users worldwide. Estimates suggest the photograph has been seen by over 1 billion to 2 billion people, making it undisputed as the most viewed photo of all time.

Today, apparently that famous hillside looks quite different—it was converted into a vineyard shortly after the photo was taken!

Discover the Community's Star Photos & Videos

While none of us might quite catch up to “Bliss,” as Local Guides we celebrate our own milestones through our Star Photos and Star Videos—our highest-performing contributions on Google Maps.

To make it easier for everyone to explore these amazing contributions, to compliment our star photo and star video albums here on Connect, today we have launched high-resolution interactive galleries! You can now browse community galleries by Local Guide level and view each featured media asset in a full-size lightbox.


Caption: Example of the new most viewed Local Guide Hi-Resolution Photo Gallery



Caption: Example of the new most viewed Local Guide Hi-Resolution Video Gallery

How to Access the Galleries

Simple! You can jump straight into these galleries directly from any Local Guide’s HUB accessed from their Connect signature.

Haven't Added Your Star Photo or Video Yet?

If you haven’t shared your top-performing Google Maps photo or video yet—or if your view count has recently surpassed a new milestone—we’d love for you to join in! You can submit or update your entry at any time by visiting the respective Connect posts:

Once added, your featured contribution will be included in our now high-resolution galleries and viewable by everyone directly from any Local Guide HUB on Connect.

Some final words

I couldn’t have said this better than fellow Local Guide @AT_Rome

Fellow Local Guides, what do you think about the new high-resolution galleries showcasing the community’s most view photos and videos?

29 Likes

@AdamGT Oh!my God. What a brilliant brilliant introduction to this board. Love every single word you have written about the photo

3 Likes

Most people are probably very perplexed as to why their star photo has so many views, my one is of a storefront & it intrigues me as to why the algorithm chose it as the one, then again @AdamGT beauty is in the eye of the beholder

4 Likes

@curatorofmemory @Peadar

I’m pleased that you guys have jumped in early here and would really appreciate your testing to see if you can access the hi-res galleries from any HUB :slight_smile: DO tell me what you think or if we can improve things.

2 Likes

A great idea. Thank you for implementing the galleries @AdamGT. Just a screenshot to support your instructions:

5 Likes

@AdamGT great intro to the top media galleries!

Is our most viewed media is our best work? I remember that when putting these at the top100, you specifically asked the question and I suspect the answer is mostly no.

Top items are usually good; I believe over the years we all learned how to improve our contribution collection methodology with great helps of fellow local guides and “how to” blogs.

Still, it is mostly picking up the right (popular) and luck of the draw of getting your media featured for as long as possible. I do think maps are doing some A-B testing while deciding to keep specific media on top.

At least this tells a good story of when local guide talent and luck cross paths :sparkler:

3 Likes

& here @WilfriedB

2 Likes

@AdamGT . I can access the gallery. It is looking great. I think the present version is perfect

1 Like

Thanks @WilfriedB. I should have added it but was madly rushing to get it posted and there were some last minute problems. Anyway, I’m pleased to hear tat you also like this initiative.

1 Like

Yes this is where the Leaderboards all started @abermans but we’ve gone a long way since and as you say, from learning and sharing we have improved quite a lot.

1 Like

Mine certainly not (I hope), @abermans. But I bet, the “Bliss” was also not the best work of Charles O’Rear neither.

Unfortunately The Story Behind “Bliss” does not tell why and how Microsoft choose his photo in the first place. The fact that more than a billion of people viewed it, was not because they all liked it, but rather because it was displayed automatically and they didn’t do anything to avoid seeing it.

So the bottom line is: besides making a technically perfect photo, Charles O’Rear was simply lucky to become that famous.

3 Likes

Komisch @AdamGT, ich habe dieses meistgesehene schöne Foto hier zum ersten Mal gesehen, obwohl ich auch schon lange Windows nutze.

Du erstaunst immer wieder mit den neu zur Verfügung stehenden Möglichkeiten im Hub. Fantastisch!
Hier ein Screenshot der Galerie:


Nur ein Hinweis: Auf dem Handy kann man nicht weiter nach unten scrollen, um die anderen Gruppen zu sehen.

3 Likes

Hey! @AdamGT Quick Q: What’s the hack to get more views?:wink:

3 Likes

So true @WilfriedB. Looking at it, you can’t help but think that it’s just another rather ordinary photo.

1 Like

Hallo @Annaelisa, Windows XP gab es nur von 2001 bis 2004. Wenn man den PC vom Arbeitgeber zur Verfügung gestellt bekommen hatte, hatte möglicherweise die EDV-Abteilung an anderes Hintergrundbild eingestellt.

Ich selbst kannte das Foto auch nur von den PCs anderer.

2 Likes

It goes back to the days of Windows XP @Annaelisa. Most likely when you were a little girl :wink:

I’ve always said that the HUB will be an amazing addendum to Connect opening many doors to where the Connect platform limits us. Check out this view on a larger screen:

Did you try viewing one of the stars in hi-resolution be selecting the thumbnail view? Here is a great shot that I like taken by fellow Connect Moderator @NareshDarji.

4 Likes

Well from reading this post @OliverKIWI I guess it’s getting Microsoft to add it as a screenshot to Windows :rofl: However, on a more serious note, I believe we just got to pick the right POI where there’s a lot of traffic and hope that it becomes the cover image of the POI. Perhaps studying the star leaderboards is a good place to start. Did you test out the new hi-resolution gallery feature Oliver?

2 Likes

the new hi-resolution gallery feature…No, what’s the story of that? I felt I missed a trillion here! @AdamGT

Thank you for this interesting post, @AdamGT.

I remember seeing the “Bliss” photo so many times back in the day, never knowing its name was ‘Bliss’ or the great story behind it. Of course, it was not by choice—it was just sitting right there every time the computer turned on. The scene looks pleasant and green, but I cannot really call it an exceptional shot. The story behind it was a really good read.

@AT_Rome said it well —views are not just about numbers, but about being helpful to a total stranger. That is the true spirit of contributing. Honestly, that is exactly what I think about when I contribute to Google Maps. I prefer to click a quick shot on the go to help someone out, instead of waiting around for that perfect fine morning. Waiting to take a great, picture-perfect shot is always my second priority.

I also explored the HUB feature, and it works smoothly. It makes finding and viewing Star Photos, videos, and more very easy. Thank you, @AdamGT, once again for all the hard work and dedication you’ve put in to inspire the community.

3 Likes

Na sicher habe ich mir die unterschiedlichen Funktionen angesehen @AdamGT, und das besondere Bild von @NareshDarji kannte ich natürlich auch schon.

Oh danke, dass du mich für so jung hältst. :joy:

3 Likes