MashaPS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Rizwan Shah

Caption: A photo of Rizwan smiling for the camera. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)Caption: A photo of Rizwan smiling for the camera. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)

Local Guide Rizwan Shah, more famously known online as @DrFoodieOfficial, is equally passionate about food and wheelchair accessibility. He’s from Karachi, Pakistan, and in his own words, he’s “probably been to every restaurant or roadside eatery in town and left reviews on Google Maps.” 

Having a family member who uses a wheelchair when going out has made Rizwan well aware of the importance of accessibility. Planning family events is often challenging, he says, as not every place offers suitable ramps, elevators, and other inclusive features. Then, a few years ago, Rizwan attended several virtual meet-ups hosted by Accessibility Champions @KashifMisidia and @JaneBurunina. Inspired by other Local Guides’ commitment and eager to help people, who, like his grandmother, need a wheelchair to get around, Rizwan started adding “a couple more lines” to his Google Maps reviews.

Here’s how he champions accessibility on Google Maps and beyond.

Caption: A selfie of Rizwan and fellow Local Guides from Karachi. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)Caption: A selfie of Rizwan and fellow Local Guides from Karachi. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)

How do you generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

I pay close attention to places like restaurants, shopping malls, parks, markets, schools, and universities. I make an effort to gather helpful information, such as the availability of accessible bathrooms, ramps, lifts, and more, to share in my reviews and photos on Maps. I enjoy pointing out wheelchair-accessible paths for people with disabilities.

Are there posts on Connect that show how you champion accessibility?

I've posted about the accessibility features of certain places, focusing on shopping malls:

I've also been a part of many TV shows and short documentaries with Kashif Misidia, sharing valuable information about accessibility and the Local Guides program. We've appeared on channels like ARY Digital, Hum TV, Aaj TV, Bol TV, Masala TV, GNN, and We News.

Caption: A screenshot showing Rizwan and Kashif talking to the host of the TV show “Lively Weekends” on Masala TV, a local media outlet in Pakistan. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)Caption: A screenshot showing Rizwan and Kashif talking to the host of the TV show “Lively Weekends” on Masala TV, a local media outlet in Pakistan. (Courtesy of Local Guide @DrFoodieOfficial)

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

When we visit a place, let's not only notice the accessibility features but also record them or mention if they are not available. This will help many people who rely on Google Maps, especially those with family members needing a wheelchair to get around.

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

After I joined the Local Guides program and met amazing people, like my mentor Kashif Misidia and friends @Bilal_shaikh and @Swalay, I found a way not only to guide people but also to send a strong message to places that need to improve accessibility. 

Google Maps and the Local Guides program are now an important part of my daily routine. Sharing helpful info is really satisfying. It also boosts your creativity and motivation, allowing you to learn from others and form long-lasting friendships.

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I'm a whizz at digital marketing and I have a cool YouTube channel with over 127K subscribers.

Thank you for what you do, Rizwan!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Karachi, Pakistan
49 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Rizwan Shah

Hello @MashaPS 

Thank you for another recognition and good news. We love when exceptional local guides like these are being recognised.

@DrFoodieOfficial congratulations man. Wish you more wins . It's amazing to see how many TV series you and @KashifMisidia have organised.

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Many Congratulations @DrFoodieOfficial , I'm so happy today for you 🥳 

You really deserve this wonderful recognition 🙏

Thank you @MashaPS for sharing such a wonderful post 😍

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

@MashaPS  thank you for sharing my story here. Your support means a lot in spreading awareness about food and accessibility in Karachi. 

I am Grateful to share my journey as a Local Guide in Karachi, Pakistan🇵🇰
Food and accessibility matter to me, and being part of virtual meet-ups with Accessibility Champions like @KashifMisidia and @JaneBurunina fueled my passion to make a difference. 
This post is really mean a lot for me. Thanks again for the appreciation ❤️🙏

Dr. Foodie Official
Level 9

Congratulations @DrFoodieOfficial   and Congratulations to @KashifMisidia  you both are the real champions.

Well done guys. Keep it up dear.

Level 9

Congratulations @DrFoodieOfficial bhai for the title. 

Your dedication for accessibility made it possible today. 

@KashifMisidia and I were recently talking about your focus towards accessibility in your posts on connect and reviews on maps. 

Bravo and kudos to you. 

Level 10

Namaskar,

@MashaPS 

Thanks for sharing..

@DrFoodieOfficial 

Congratulations for selection & Best wishes for upcoming achievement 💐

@KashifMisidia thanks for informing Bhai..

Connect Moderator

Many many Congratulations @DrFoodieOfficial 👏🎉

Thanks @MashaPS for introducing our new Accessibility Champion 🏆

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@SholaIB appreciate the kind words 🙌 Thanks a bunch for the congratulations. Exciting times ahead  & many shows are coming so stay tuned for more 😉

Dr. Foodie Official
Level 10

@KashifMisidia bhai you are always behind me to do such a great work ❤️

Thank you so much for supporting me and being a mentor you give me a right path which lead me to the success 🙏

Dr. Foodie Official