JafferA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[Feature Request]: Improving Lists!

Greetings!

First of all, lists feature is great tool to save time for sharing group of places and also saving them privately. If you are not familiar with it, you may read about it in this post.

What could be improved.. is the current view and functionality of the list feature.

Current view of a sample listCurrent view of a sample list
Let me explain where lists are handy, to understand what is possible to improve..

For example, I receive a lot of text lists along with links for most beautiful and interesting places to visit in a country or a city. All of them are written by people who have been there, and they link each place with their most important points when going there. They briefly describe:
  1. What is best to be done there;
  2. What time the place is seen most beautiful;
  3. Whether to buy food before or after arriving there.. and a lot of other notes.

That is why I sent my earlier suggestion -through feedback- for adding only simple notes to each place. But then thought It could be a lot more useful than just adding notes manually, which could also take a lot of time in some cases. And also thought it could be also improved by others brainstorming what might be better addition or methods of implementation.

So, here's what I suggest..

I can see three ways to the best use of adding notes to feature like this:

• First Method - Manually: a user who creates his own shared list writes his notes and comments on the list. The user might want to share some personal notes that would not be appropriate to share publicly through reviews.
  • Second Method - Sharing reviews: a user who creates the list and has already reviewed some places on the list can share both the places and his reviews. It should automatically show the list of the places along with the reviews he has written previously. This is why it's a great advantage to create the proper shareable list in a very short time through this method.
  • Third Method - Combination of both: either first or second method to be used, depending on what user chooses to show.

Also, I would suggest improving how to sort the list of places, because I believe there are more ways of meaningfully sorting places in lists than the current default way, e.g.:
  1. Distance to that place;
  2. Stars given through the review;
  3. Or even by preference of users.

Do you think such feature would increase usefulness of the app? What else could be improved in such feature?

Please share your thoughts & Kudo the subject to convince the team consider this post 🙂
13 comments
Level 7

Re: [Feature Request]: Improving Lists!

Thanks for the suggestion.

One other feature request would be to "Auto Create" lists based on filters. For example:

1. Lists of all Restaurants with a rating of 5

2. Lists of all Bars in a specific area that has been reviewed by me

3. Lists of all restaurants with a romantic view (since this is one of the questions thats asked of Local Guides)

etc

Level 9

Exactly, thanks @VikasChawla for the reply!

I think these smart filters and commands could be implemented easily and save a lot of time for each user to create.

@VikasC wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

One other feature request would be to "Auto Create" lists based on filters. For example:

1. Lists of all Restaurants with a rating of 5

2. Lists of all Bars in a specific area that has been reviewed by me

3. Lists of all restaurants with a romantic view (since this is one of the questions thats asked of Local Guides)

etc

I also thought that, adding those answers to the questions -which the app was asking for- to "advanced search" would make a difference for anyone who is Google Maps to search for a specific criteria other than name.

Level 9

Level 8

Hi @JafferA,

Thank you for kicking off this discussion.
Somebody else asked for a widget/plugin to enable to share ones lists on a blog. I tried to find her post, I believe her name is Paula or Pauline and she wrote in Spanish.

Since there are many blog platforms out there, I think a simple XML feed of a list could be an easy solution to enable us to use lists on our websites, blogs, etc.

All we need is a XML URL for each list and thus make the usability of lists so much more diverse. The good news for Google would be that all these online lists outside Maps, do all link back to Maps 😉

Level 9

Thanks @JeroenM for the contribution. I think there is a lot of space for improvement in the lists feature.

I really appreciate contributions like yours 🌹

Let's hope Google Maps team also listens to us.

Level 9

Dear @TraciC and @Csaba.

Could you consider the suggestion above?

Level 10

@JafferA wrote:

Could you consider the suggestion above?

Dear @JafferA, note that I am not pert of the Google Maps team nor work for Google at all. I am just a regular Local Guide like yourself and only help with the moderation of the forums here. Whether I like a suggestion or not is indifferent to the Maps team.

Level 9

@CsabaSorry for the misunderstanding, could you suggest names of the moderators that would reply to the subject?

Level 10

No problem, of course, @JafferA. I think Traci, whom you mentioned will be good to bring the team's attention.