BorisS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Wanted to get pictures, but pictured the fire

A few hours ago I wanted to walk a little about Haifa and to make a few pictures for new reviews. But suddenly saw a big smoke from Haifa Carmelit. For those, who don't know - that is the shortest subway in the world. Now everything is OK, firemen did their job, and situation is under control. But I have a question. If you get in such a situation - what would you do? What to picture and what not to? Are any rules existing or instructions? Can I publish the materials myself etc.?

P70204-113917_11.jpgP70204-113610_2.jpgP70204-113635_3.jpgP70204-113820_4.jpg

Herzl Street, Haifa, Israel
6 comments
Level 7

Re: Wanted to get pictures, but pictured the fire

Hi Boris

Your photos here are amazing. Thanks for the assurance that everything is under control there. 

I don't know if I would post photos of just the fire (for Local Guides here) If I knew a fire had happened, I would want to know if a place was destroyed or damaged (if it is a place people have visited before, they would want to know if it still stands.)

In this case you mention specifically that the subway was on fire. Was the subway made unuseable even temporarily? That would matter to anyone interested in using the subway or interested in just knowing it exists.

You ask if you could publish the materials yourself? Do you mean on your own blog or website as opposed to posting on Google? I would think you could certainly do that, although I cannot speak for the Google folks here as far as rules go.

Interesting and good question.

Level 3

Thank you, Marie, for very good tips. The matter is one train of the subway is destroyed completely. And we have only two of them there. So, to my mind it will take time to repair everything. I will try to inform about the repair works.

Level 8

Hi there,

You can, without problem, take every photo you want, but please do not put you in danger or make some damage to the building/place.

There's no rules about that.

Cheers, Marc-André Beauchamp -- Google Top Contributor / Level 5 / Regional Leads / Google Ambassador
Level 3

Thank you, Marc-André, you are right. At the last moment I understood, that there could be some containers with fuel or technical oils, and there was a danger of explosion. Making pictures we should always think about it.

@Marc-AndréB wrote:

Hi there,

You can, without problem, take every photo you want, but please do not put you in danger or make some damage to the building/place.

There's no rules about that.

Level 6

@boriss wrote:

A few hours ago I wanted to walk a little about Haifa and to make a few pictures for new reviews. But suddenly saw a big smoke from Haifa Carmelit. For those, who don't know - that is the shortest subway in the world. Now everything is OK, firemen did their job, and situation is under control. But I have a question. If you get in such a situation - what would you do? What to picture and what not to? Are any rules existing or instructions? Can I publish the materials myself etc.?

P70204-113917_11.jpgP70204-113610_2.jpgP70204-113635_3.jpgP70204-113820_4.jpg

Hello Boris,

Thank you for the question. On the local guide community your'e welcome to share information and pictures from all over the world. For exceptional events (like: storms or fire), there is no need for media sharing but you can specify in the details of the place that it was closed due to a particular reason.

your thebestguidlocalguide.

Connect Moderator

Hi Boris, the answer to your question depends very much on your local laws. In Australia the photographer gets to choose and can photograph anything and anyone in public places without permission.

This changes if you want to use the images commercially in which case getting permission from both people and land/property managers is advisable but still not essential.

Regards Paul