David-Marbella's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Visiting Stonehenge and the old Welsh Stones

Visiting Stonehenge and the old Welsh Stones

An amazing day visiting the old earth sites and stone monuments in Wiltshire. all rolling green hills, chalk downs, Britain's pre-Christian heritage coexist with the other-worldly modern age megalithic Wiltshire... Stonehenge and Avebury, in Wiltshire, are among the most famous groups of megaliths in the world.

Stonehenge is one of the most impressive prehistoric megalithic monuments in the world on account of the sheer size of its megaliths, the sophistication of its concentric plan and architectural design, the shaping of the stones - uniquely using both Wiltshire Sarsen sandstone and Pembroke Bluestone - and the precision with which it was built.

IMG_4197.JPGFullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_4188.JPGFullSizeRender copy.jpgIMG_4179.JPGIMG_4181.JPG

Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Visiting Stonehenge and the old Welsh Stones

Is this protected area @David-Marbella?

In most shapes one horizontal stone is placed in the top of two vertical stones. Any meaning of this? 

The questions are just because I am too much curious. 😊😊😊😊😊

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Level 8

@David-Marbella amazing pics👍👍👍

Level 8

Yes its now protected fully, you can walk to the stones from outside, but its an extremely long walk.. Its now very much like Jurassic park, you pay and get on a but for the ride to the stones.. Otherwise you can walk along the Barrows and walk around some of the earlier earthworks around Stonehenge quite interesting in their own right, and dated much earlier than the main attraction.

As to the construction, (obviously nothing to do with Druids)  The stones were brought from west Wales, taken to this site, where there were many other structures in the area at that time and assembled into what we see today. Nobody actually knows what it was for, they guess, but your own guess is just as good as the people who say they know..

It was moved and altered in the 1900´s (This is one of the dark secrets of history archaeologists don't talk about: The day they had the builders in at Stonehenge to recreate the most famous ancient monument in Britain as they thought it out) more here = https://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/12/330623.html?c=on

330626.gif330627.gif330628.gif330624.jpg

It was really nice to visit in 2017, i recently visited when i was just 10 years old,, more than 40 years ago... at that time you could climb all over the stones..

It really is an amazing structure, well worth the visit, i am so glad i could share my images from this year. with no rain

Level 10

The time when you climbed the stones, I had no existence on this beautiful earth @David-Marbella.

Thank you so much briefing on my curiosity. This makes the post even interesting to visitors. I checked the link you provided too. 🙂