Lajour's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Taking pictures at a bank

A few days ago, in the spirit of #googlelocalguides and #letsguide, I walked into a bank compound and started taking pictures to post on the map. Next I know, security had surrounded me and they wanted to know why I was taking pictures. I had to explain to them about being a Google guide, a concept they had no idea existed. It took my showing all my posts, pictures and offering to delete the pictures I took before they calmed down enough to listen to me. Then I just said "your bank is not well represented, I can help if you want. I'll post these pictures and people all over the world will see and know you exist". Then they let me go. As I got into my car, I said a prayer of thanks and promised myself that I would always ask for permission before taking pictures again. Did that promise last? Yes! Till today when I stopped in the middle of the road to take another picture!

So has this ever happened to anyone else before? 

Port Harcourt, Nigeria
21 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Taking pictures at a bank

Hello @Lajour, I know what you mean. Here's a blogpost that relates my experiences

https://janvanhaver.com/2018/02/15/open-letter-to-all-business-owners/

It is amazing how few business owners are aware of the ways we can help them!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@Lajour scary situation but expected when waking into a bank to take pictures. Good to know their security is paying attention. But I know what you mean, but not to this level. I always try to take pictures when people aren't looking or not around to avoid this. People always look at you strange when you are taking pictures all around a store. Outside places people usually do not care, but inside they seem to watch. 

Level 7

I'll check it out right away @JanVanHaver

Edited to add:

Wow great stuff! May I share please? 

Level 7

So true @N4speed77. I'll make a mental note to take less conspicuous pictures 

Level 8

@Lajour always better safe than sorry...

Connect Moderator

@Lajour wrote:

I'll check it out right away @JanVanHaver

Edited to add:

Wow great stuff! May I share please? 

@Lajour@ @Absolutely, but please mention me as the author or include a link to the original post

Also check out this other post

https://janvanhaver.com/2017/10/22/why-you-need-to-claim-your-company-on-google-maps/

I am actively encouraging people to share that post or the ideas explained in it 😀

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

I generally don't take photos in places that are usually very sensitive to security clearance, such as banks. Most banks will have security guards standing in front or inside the establishment, and it's usually a good sign for not taking photos without permission. Also the way I see it, most people going to banks aren't really concerned about what it looks like inside. They go there to run errands, and will get out as soon as possible. You can always write reviews to describe your experience while you're there, and also fixed info if it's wrong / missing. Maybe you can get away with taking photos outside, to let others know that the bank has a ramp, for example. But it's always wise to ask first.

I think you handled the situation very well @Lajour. It might be very surprising to be surrounded suddenly by the guards, but calmly explaining what you're doing, and that you mean no harm, helps a lot. I would really suggest for everyone to be extra cautious while trying to take photos in places that have high security protection. Always question first when in doubt.

Level 7

oh I'll definitely quote you. I'll just share the link on my facebook page. More people need to know about google guides 

Level 5

Hello Lajour, good to know you're in Port Harcourt too!

We could meet some time, what do you think?

Chymdii.