AlexanderSpade's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: First Solo Trip - I

Please do write some comments, @SergeySud. I will much appreciate it 🙂 

By the way, I will do the reading part after my exam period. Should be interesting :))) 

Alexander Spade
Level 10

A little secret about "The Red Square", Red in Russian is “красный”; Beautiful in Russian is “красивый”, they are almost the same, even the pronunciation. That is why she is so gorgeous 

Taking this opportunity, once again I want to discover a little secret - the Red Square is named so in English by bad translator's mistake. Krasnaya ploshchad is in Russian. "Ploshchad" is a "Square", but "Krasnaya" in old Russian language is not "Red" at all, but "Beautiful". 

Apparently, this name is given in the context of "the main" or "significant". Several ancient Russian towns, such as Suzdal, Yelets, and Pereslavl-Zalessky, have their main square named Krasnaya ploshchad.

Level 5

I guess it is the pronunciation of both words are too similar, and also the square is "Red" colour. That keeps the mistake till now, haha 🙂 

Whatever the name is, I do love the Square. Personally, I think it is the most beautiful of Moscow 🙂 

Alexander Spade
Former Google Contributor

Hey @AlexanderSpade,

That's a really cool story. I've done a lot of solo trips too. I also really want to visit Moscow, so I might as well buy some last minute tickets. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 5

Hey @NadyaPN

Thank you for your time on my post, and you should visit this beautiful city. Perhaps the day will come soon 😉

What countries have you been? It will be interesting to know and see the photos 🙂

Cheers,

Alex

Alexander Spade
Level 10

@AlexanderSpade  написал (-а):

The Red SquareThe Red Square

This is another foreign tourist's common mistake. It's not Red Square, but Vasilievsky Spusk Square - a square located from the Red Square to the Kremlin Embankment along the Kremlin wall.

The square was named after the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed (St. Basil the Blessed Cathedral), from which the square descends to the Moskva River. Spusk means Downhill. So, the name can be translated as "Vasily's Downhill Square".

Solemn, festive and sports events are often held on the square.

The dominant feature of the square is the St. Basil the Blessed Cathedral, on the right side of the photo.

On the left side of the photo you can see the Spasskaya Tower (Saviour Tower) is the main tower on the eastern wall of the Moscow Kremlin which overlooks the Red Square.

It was named Vasilievsky Spusk Square in 1995. In 1924-1995 the square was part of the Red Square. Earlier it was part of Vasilievskaya Square, the name of which took root in the XIX century.

Level 9

Keep the photos coming!! 

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)
Level 10

Especially for Local Guides Connect, I have created a map of all parks and squares around and inside the Moscow Kremlin.

Enjoy Squares inside and around Moscow Kremlin

Level 8

@SergeySud wrote:

Thanks for watching, @AlexanderSpade.

By the way, fun fact - the Uncle Steyopa author, Mr. Sergey Mikhalkov had the opportunity to write the lyrics of  both Soviet Union and Russia national anthems on three different occasions, spanning almost 60 years!

I'm ready to write some comments about each your photo, if you agree.

Sergey, That's really amazing. 

Hey I wanna hear more stories like this hopefully in SF this October. LOL (ps: are we going sailing again?) @KarenVChin 

Cheers

Connect Moderator

@Badruddeen, SF Sailing definitely is "on" this October. = )

Cheers,

Karen

@Badruddeen wrote:

@SergeySud wrote:

Thanks for watching, @AlexanderSpade.

By the way, fun fact - the Uncle Steyopa author, Mr. Sergey Mikhalkov had the opportunity to write the lyrics of  both Soviet Union and Russia national anthems on three different occasions, spanning almost 60 years!

I'm ready to write some comments about each your photo, if you agree.

Sergey, That's really amazing. 

Hey I wanna hear more stories like this hopefully in SF this October. LOL (ps: are we going sailing again?) @KarenVChin 

Cheers