EhsanD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Abandoned Places [not museums though]

@EhsanD,

I think that the building has a bit of architectural bad luck. The university it was part of is really about 4 miles away. So it was far enough away not to feel part of the campus.

I could imagine going to functions there, like parties and the like, but in reality it was filled with equipment, huge telescopes, and it would have been impossible to use for public events. 

It was built in 1880 by benefactors to the university, who made telescopic equipment for the world. So it was kind of like a showcase. But the company was purchased in a merger and this building was sold in the merger with a bunch of other **####**. 

It's fairly useless as an observatory due to its location, now in the midst of a city. When it was built, it was surrounded by farmland. 

Someone did buy it, planning on turning it into a sizable home. But the person who did that went to jail. While they were in jail, the scrappers took whatever was left before anyone noticed. 

I think this place is a testament to the unintended consequences of big mergers and acquisitions. It sure is interesting though.

Level 8

@FullCleveland

Thanks for additional info.

It sounds a doomed destiny and two directions seem possible; forever abandoned or demolition!

Level 8