PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Want to improve photography for Maps? The “36” Walk.

Wow.!! its a great idea ... lokking forward to join this if happens in my area... being a photography lover ..

Adarsh Goyal || Bangalore Local Guides || India         
Level 6

مافهمت شي

Level 10

@PaulP wrote:

Excellent @LucioV I look forward to your outcomes. I always find it hard to stay in the 36 myself too! Rome is a wonderful city, so much history combined with a contemporary vibrant lifestyle.

I will arrange the walk after the meetup of this saturday, i will be really busy before!

Level 6

شكرا لك

Level 1

Ótima ideia isso me ajudou muito obrigada

@PaulP wrote:

Hi,

I'm the supported moderator for Melbourne Local Guides and a passionate photographer who loves to mentor and teach. One thing we all have in common is that we never stop learning.

The Problem

When looking at images on maps I often see some absolutely amazing images, but I also see a lot of mediocre and even poor images which reflect poorly on the location.

How do we improve?

To try and improve this situation I've borrowed a photowalk that I run annually in my Photograph Melbourne community called The "36" Walk. This year with the encouragement of the Google Local Guides Team I've transformed this into a global event with confirmed participation in Melbourne, San Francisco, Brisbane and New York and likely participation in Sydney, Perth and several other cities around the world but we need more to make this truly have an impact on maps.

The concept of The "36" Walk is to eliminate the snap happy from our photos or clicks as many call them and introduce a sense of worth and deliberation by limiting how many images you can make during the photowalk. Why 36? It comes from the most popular film size of 35mm which generally came with 36 shots per canister of film. Since limiting myself my quality ceiling has gone up with more images that I'm happy with each time I go out.

Seeking Leaders

What I'm looking for right now is more people to host walks around the world in your local location on or about April 23rd. Anyone who can attract a group of people and is willing to organise and run an event and report back about it here on Local Guides Connect and in your own communities is welcome to apply.

You can find out more more information about The "36" Walk in general and can register as a walk leader via this form.

Each walk will be able to nominate several images from their walk to be featured on The "36" Page 2017 collection.

Local Guides need you to make this global walk successful because we need more cities to be involved. It does not matter how small or large your group is, if you can get some people together then join in.

Walkers

When the time comes, each of the walks will be shared on Local Guides Connect as an event that you can sign up for. Additionally the walk leaders are likely to share the event on other platforms to gather a greater momentum and to introduce new people to the Local Guides phenomenon.

This is a 36 walk that I've run previously in Melbourne, Australia.

pwalk36-2014-09-20_15.jpg 

Regards

Paul Pavlinovich

Level 6

مشكور على الرد✌️

Level 5

Is Perth on the map?

Hi Paul

I am writing from Perth. Your idea looks ok. i would like to attend if there is anyone organising one at Perth.

I have a small issue however with the notion of "36" and it is that I am shoooting with a DSLR and many times with just one photo the result is not the best (out of focus, light not ok, etc)

I agree though that the end result should be no more than 36. I usually upload only a couple of good ones instead of a trillion of mediocre ones. (I particularly dislike Iphone because it takes away the notion of "art")

Let me know if there is someone raising the hand for Perth, and if not, I can probably try to host it.

(BTW, if there is a group of Spanish speakers that want to join me, we can do it in Spanish too)

Cheers Paul

Level 7

Re: Is Perth on the map?

Dear you need training and simple guidelines for DSLR for this you can join us on our blog

Level 8

That is actually helpful! 

Since Google Maps app allow you to submit photos to a specific place based on your location, I've seen not only poor photos but also misplaced. 

I would love to host something like that here, but I am still struggling to make any contact with other LG in my region. Unfortunately the concept of met ups are not much known here. 🤔🙄

Lucas Kellermann - Indaial SC
Local Guide & Waze Map Editor
Level 8

Re: Is Perth on the map?

Your point is interesting. 

I love DSLR quality and features, but I also think that the concept of "art" comes with creativity, even with an iPhone. 

I agree though that the end result should be no more than 36. I usually upload only a couple of good ones instead of a trillion of mediocre ones. (I particularly dislike Iphone because it takes away the notion of "art")

Lucas Kellermann - Indaial SC
Local Guide & Waze Map Editor