JayToTheTee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Updated list of Street View Compatible 360 Cameras?

I have started using a Ricoh Theta V (2017) for taking 360 photos for my real estate business and my choice of camera was kinda influenced by its compatiblity with Street View.  I have since used it to add tons of photos to Street View and have been considering getting another camera.  The Ricoh is a bit finicky and requires a hard boot pretty often so I've been shopping around and want to get a GoPro Fusion.  I just checked the Street View 360 camera list and it doesn't appear to have been updated in a while.  Even the Theta V that I am using isn't listed but the older versions from 2015 are, with 2015 prices I might add.

Has anyone seen an updated list of cameras?  360 photography has really taken off lately and due to my photography business I will need at least two cameras, one for backup, and before I invest I'd like to know if it can be used with Street View.

Thanks in advance!   

Family Dental of Virginia, Hampton, VA, United States
5 comments
Level 8

Re: Updated list of Street View Compatible 360 Cameras?

@LucioV. Do you have any input on this?

Level 8

I will tell you my thoughts on this. But first a bit of a disclaimer, or full disclosure. I do not work for Google. I do not know what's going on inside its head, or inside the heads of the people that run street view. This is just my opinion or maybe my guess. Google has started the street view project years ago and watched it grow. Recently they released a full Street View API, that let third parties develop their own software to moderate or edit images and upload them to the street view engine. There are now a number of third-party vendors that people can use to process their images and load them up to street view. My guess or opinion is that at this time Google is going to step back a bit and let the market sort itself out. I think the street view app will become less and less important and guidance should be found from the third party vendor that you will choose to use to post your 360 Tour. Again this is just my opinion or guess, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts or comments

Level 8

Lucio sent me a nice PM.  Thanks!

Level 8

Looking at the ROI, I ended up purchasing another Theta V for backup.  And due to the magic of prime shipping, it has already arrived!  

There were only two big issues I had with the camera and I think the latest firmware fixed them both.  One, was color balance leaned towards purple. The other was that weird connection drop I was getting (using Pixel 2 XL).  The color cast wasn't a dealbreaker since I ended up creating a lens profile in lightroom.  I also tweak a couple other things before I save them off for publication.  The dropped connection required a reset that only takes about 3 minutes to remedy, but when I'm pressed for time shooting in front of a customer it is a real pain.  

I may end up with another 360 camera in the future but for now the Ricoh Theta V is what I am going with.

Example from the Ricoh Theta V in a virtual tour

Level 7

Hi John, I've discovered vizor looking at your post. This week they've published a cameras comparison. 

https://site.vizor.io/articles/360-camera-comparison

Thanks

Gus