cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Request of permission to use photgraphs uploaded to google maps

Hello guys, 

I am looking for some opinions 😄

I have uploaded some pictures of a new shop(vivobarefoot) on one of my walking routes (I have done all the existing ones already hrhr!)

A week later, I got two facebook messages of the shop's manager and her assistent individually. 

They asked for high res uploads of my pictures because they liked them and wanted to use them on their website. 

I asked how they would name me, "because it looks crappy with the name in the picture". I was kindly suggesting, that they are mine and they could have them but not entirely for free. ... No money but at least naming.

She (the manager) replied, that she would ask national marketing how that would be done best.

Later she wrote, that marketing told her, it was in their shop and they would apart from that naturally want to use them without copyright. Also in that message she demanded to please upload high res copies to them. 

I am in Germany, the right is as follows. ( also to inform you if you veer take pictures here) 

• Google only uses photographs, but other than facebook leaves the right to the pictures with you  (love you for this, thank you very much for the respect!!!)  -> still mine
  • Taking pictures in publicly accesable places, photgraphs generally are allowed, yes, but can be forbidden by the owner. BUT to do so, legally, requires informing openly about it. They have to state it in their policy and that policy has to be at the shops entrance, so I can refrain from entering if I don't agree. Next option to publicly forbid it are to put no photograph signs up -> they didn't do either
  • If you take photos of food, that is prepared really pretty and looks like something you cannot see often with that dish is art and the chef has the copyright to it. -> it was shoes
  • I guess they can also just ask you not to if they see you taking pictures, seems weird, if that would not be true

So now, I liked the origianal attention, but not the handling afterwards. 

I told her she had domicilary rights but didn't use them. And I wrote that it is not 'naturally' in a good moraled place, to demand copyright from someone for own profit without consideration. I asked her to talk to general marketing again, whether they were sure... .

What do you think. My thoughts are: Should I just block them both or take the pictures down or keep talking to them depending on their reply? Oh right ask other guides for their experiences.

And also important, do you think I missed something? If you think, then please tell me in a nice way, I had several let downs already today. 

So keep smiling

Love yall

Willi

2 comments
Level 10

Re: Request of permission to use photgraphs uploaded to google maps

To confirm what you are saying. You took the pictures on a public place, it is your photo. They can ask for high resolution version but you are under no obligation to hand it over to them.

I would tell them politely to buzz off and optionally just put their mail in the spam filter.

Level 10

Re: Request of permission to use photgraphs uploaded to google maps

You are absolutely right.

I received a similar request, last year, from the main telco in Italy, they need a picture i shoot inside their offices (i was authorized to be there).

Although i'm a professional photographer, this was a local guide shoot, so i didn't request a fee for this, but i asked for the correct attribution and i had (was a printed leaflet).

Lucio