khawajas's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Quality of photos uploaded by local guides

Quality of photos we take while updloading with places must have some standards.

I think photo reflects the purpose and identity of the place.

Photo doesn't reflects that it is for Selfies only.

What do you think we should consider while taking photo for Google Map?.

10 comments
Level 10

Re: Quality of photos uploaded by local guides

Quality of a photo is not an objective and measurable parameter. At the beginning of the SV|T program (AKA Business View) we were forced to use specific hardware, and produce images with a measurable quality. Now this is gone for SV|T, and why a contributor should measure his photo with universal standards? Should a good picture be produced with specific smartphones, resolution, good white balance, nice contrast, perfect framing, good timing? The quality check is gone. So now it's all about numbers, at all levels. I'm skeptic about trying to keep standards high. Anyway, i will do my best, in any given situation.

Level 5

Don't you think the quality is not only standards of your photography, but it must shows the image of that place.

If you focus that you or your friend must be shown in every photo you uploaded then its unfare.

Do you agree if thing happens like this?

Level 10

@khawajas wrote:

Don't you think the quality is not only standards of your photography, but it must shows the image of that place.

If you focus that you or your friend must be shown in every photo you uploaded then its unfare.

Do you agree if thing happens like this?

Personally i don't agree, but i'm not in charge of this judgment, and i will not report an image like this as inappropriate.

I'm trying to remove images that are from another hotel, from an hotel placepage, a customer, since months; phonecalls with MyBusiness support, hundreds of reports ... and pictures are still here. Who could be in charge of checking the photo quality of millions of users?

Level 5

There is no need of incharge here its very simple for google to add a new feature.

Every picture must verified by local guides of  that area.

This is just like the way when you add new buisness in map, Google varifies it from other Local guides.

Thats simple

Level 10

@khawajas regional leads that verify map updates are not required to judge about the "quality" of the edit. Who can decide if a photo is a nice photo? Don't misunderstand me, i know the problem, and i understand your suggestions, but it's not easy to evaluate the quality of a photo. The only thing that must be evaluated in a photo of a place, is relevance: a selfie, without any reference to the business IS NOT relevant, a not well focused image, not perfect horizontal, of the right place, IS relevant. But this judgment is in conflict with the trends Google wants for us; the want MORE photos, MORE photospheres, MORE places, to be uploaded. 😉

Level 2

I have similar standards.  I do not ever take pictures of myself nor do I ever focus on people as the subject.  My focus is on the location.

Level 5

@khawajas

You are very correct. What is the basic objective of Google Map to the users? Google Map users get an idea about the place from the Reviews and Photographs. Photographs tells many thing which we may not cover in Reviews. That is why photograph is very important to Google Map users. Here comes the responsibility of Local Guide to see whether end user is getting that idea from our reviews and photographs.

Level 5

@BlimmoD

I do not agree with You. People is also a part of the Photograph. Just think, One place is very famous for a particular Festival. You are taking photograph of that place without any people. What dept you will get from that particular snap? Will the end user of Google Map be able to understand how the Festival looks at that place during Festival Time. In my thinking, in some photographs, charecters increase the depth of the photograph.

Level 5

@khawajas

You are very correct. What is the basic objective of Google Map to the users? Google Map users get an idea about the place from the Reviews and Photographs. Photographs tells many thing which we may not cover in Reviews. That is why photograph is very important to Google Map users. Here comes the responsibility of Local Guide to see whether end user is getting that idea from our reviews and photographs.