Csaba's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Do you also blur faces on static photos?

As we know, privacy is one of Google's main concern. There are clear guide lines for SV photography regarding blurring faces and number plates. We can also see lots of (flat) pictures shared on Maps without blurring these things. I usually try to avoid taking pictures for Maps with people (or at least with their faces clearly seen) but sometimes you cannot ask a whole party to stend up and walk away until you take a shot of a café or something. 

Here's an example where I blurred faces: https://goo.gl/maps/2hAv3pVZzoL2

and one where I blurred number plates: https://goo.gl/maps/5uem8aNNmcr

So my question is above: do you guys follow a similar practice to avoid privacy problems? Note that pictures might be removed for such issues and if a LG has too many of these, it is always easier to remove all images in batch than to go through every single one...

One would not even notice if just a few are removed only by the slow decrease of picture count although if you also keep adding new images, this may not be apparent.

2 comments
Level 10

Re: Do you also blur faces on static photos?

Dear @Csaba you are right.

I don't know why, but user policy on this topic is different between static and 360 photos.

I think this is coming from the strict rules enforcement we, SVT photographers, had when the Street View editor was subject to Quality Check from QC team.

We had 360 and VT rejected from publish for a single unblurred face, some had rejection for children photos in a poster on a distant wall!!!!!

So we were used to do this as a routine, and we uploaded POI that were shoot taking care of privacy.

But as the program evolved into Local Guides, and the contributes grow to near infinite, the check was left to crowd, and we simply stop to take care of this.

I always try not to include recognizable people in any contribute in maps, but I have to admit that I rely on crowd check for this; so I'm read to see my published photos number fluctuate due to this issue.

Level 10

Re: Do you also blur faces on static photos?

Well, @LucioV, Google's SV privacy policy is strict with its own SV imagery as well (and allows people to report unblurred faces and number plates on them) but I understand that as building up the whole SV system can be costy. 

Now when "flat" imagery is crowd sourced, Google does not pay too much attention to it as whoever is concerned will eventually report the picture in question for privacy reasons and Google can easily take that single photo down (unlike a sphere from a SV Tour with connections and all). 

So I understand Google's "convenient" policy here. I was indeed just wondering about others - what the practice is. To be honest, I do not always blur faces as meticulously as in that example photo (also it's always easier to wait a few seconds until the passers-by leave the field of view). Some image number fluctuation of mine may still be due to this.