MIHashimi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Secret : How You can Add Photos/Videos to the Places, There is no Add Photos Option in Google Ma

@Flash this isn't a workaround. It's a supported feature in Maps App on Android. The App will prevent you from adding to non "places". It appeared about three months ago as an option when sharing from any on device gallery.

From https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2622947?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Add a photo or video using Google Photos or your Gallery app

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open Google Photos or your Gallery app.
  2. Select a photo or video.
  3. Tap Share Share.
  4. Tap Add to Maps Google Maps.
  5. Select a place. To search for another place, tap Somewhere else.
  6. Tap Post Post.

Note: You can share one photo at a time.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Re: Secret : How You can Add Photos/Videos to the Places, There is no Add Photos Option in Google Ma

When Google prevents a type of edit, figuring out how to make it happen anyway via other options is exactly the definition of a workaround.

If certain features were not meant to have photos and thus the direct method of adding is turned off, a user adding photos via another method can full expect that those photos might one day disappear.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

@Flash please read the support article - it's an official new feature not a work around or secret. It's published.

Connect Moderator

I do realize that.  What you are not understanding is that almost every single workaround uses some other existing feature.  After all, the users cannot turn on features, so they are using publshed features to do their workarounds.

If options have purposely not been enabled for certain features, but via another method they forgot to disable the same options for those features;  using that when you know that the options are not supposed to be enabled is using a workaround.  That is how almost every workaround has occured in the past, and Google has repeatedly said not to use or promote workarounds.  They don't turn off options to be mean, they turn them off for specific reasons.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@Flash apply to the Summit and you will learn that today's Maps is not yesterday's Maps. Expect change.

Connect Moderator

Google has been inviting me to summits for years now; there are two different ones I can attend this year due to my mapping.  I cannot make them all, and summits have never been the way that new infomration is conveyed as summits are not manditory.

Maps has never been static, the rules have always evolved and I spend time speaking with Googlers to ensure I keep up to date.  The fact that rules change, though, does not mean that workarounds can be used.  As I allued to above, if Google states "We'd like to see people add X to the map, doing it the direct way is broken so please use this other way", then a workaround can be used; this means Google has said the data is good and the alternative method of adding it doesn't cause issues.  But as long as Google does not both say the rules have changed here and the direct way is not declared broken then doing it any other way is considered a workaround.  And in this case I highly suspect that since no effort to change the direct way was ever made that the rules have not changed.