FintoCubano's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Places Added Not Applied - National Parks, Italy

Following suggestions from @Flash in reply to my questions at this post, this is my thread detailing experiences with places (shops or other landmarks) added within the geographical map boundaries of certain National Parks in central/southern Italy which are automatically (or after a few days) not accepted, despite being visited by myself and in business.

My take, based on previous experience with MapMaker and previous edits in the area as well as other users that have highlighted the issue in the Local Guides group in my region, is that this issue arises from a restriction made by Google in the algorithm following perhaps some spamming by other users in the past in the area(s).

I hope this feedback would be useful to people at Google such as @GusMoreira and @BruceDM that have looked at similar issues in the past.

I will start with 4 examples related to places added within the Gran Sasso National Park area, Italy, in the medieval village of Santo Stefano di Sessanio, which could do with some improvement in terms of mapping: street names are not mapped as are several shops - all in business and thriving - while key landmarks, some damaged by 2009 L'Aquila earthquake, are not mapped either:

1) Arts and Crafts Shop n.1

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, not applied; May 2017, not applied (see screenshots below)

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); still in business (see posts in Facebook page)

Coordinates: 42.344102, 13.643973 (please note, the map does not show the missing Via del Castello)

Location: Santo Stefano di Sessanio, Italy (withing the boundaries of the Gran Sasso National Park)

Example 1, Gran Sasso.jpg

2) Arts and Crafts Shop n.2

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, not applied straight away; May 2017, not applied straight away (see screenshots below)

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); still in business (opened 2014)

Coordinates: 42.344143, 13.643664 (please note, the map does not show any street name at these coordinates, although the street name is mentioned in this entry of the regional shops register)

Location: Santo Stefano di Sessanio, Italy (within the boundaries of the Gran Sasso National Park)

Example 2, Gran Sasso.jpg

4) Historical Landmark n.1

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, not applied straight away; May 2017, not applied straight away (see screenshots below)

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); badly damaged by the 2009 earthquake (see here), not fully destroyed but being rebuilt.

Coordinates:  42.343916, 13.644166 

Location: Santo Stefano di Sessanio, Italy (within the boundaries of the Gran Sasso National Park)

Example 3, Gran Sasso.jpg

The following, on the contrary, is still pending while it was not applied when I first added it in 2016:

4) Wool Shop n.1

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, pending; May 2017, pending (see screenshots below) - maybe because I used ''wool shop'' as category and not ''arts and craft shop'' ?

Visited: August 2016 (proof a pair of wool socks, sorry for not posting any pictures; still in business (see Facebook page posts)

Coordinates:  42.343453, 13.644157

Example 4, Gran Sasso.jpg

Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park, Italy
1 comment
Connect Moderator

Re: Places Added Not Applied - National Parks, Italy

Hello @FintoCubano,

Thank you for taking the time to post such detailed information.  There is no way to tell exactly why you cannot add a place; denials that can't be explained is something that affects all users, but we'll try to point out the known issues to see if it increases your chances.  I'll note yet again that this has nothing to do with being within a national park, we all get denial everywhere in the world.

1) Arts and Crafts Shop n.1

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, not applied; May 2017, not applied (see screenshots below)

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); still in business (see posts in Facebook page)

Coordinates: 42.344102, 13.643973 (please note, the map does not show the missing Via del Castello)

Location: Santo Stefano di Sessanio, Italy (withing the boundaries of the Gran Sasso National Park)

Example 1, Gran Sasso.jpg

The first issue here is that you should not be adding a Facebook URL.  Only URLs that belong directly to the place are to be used.

The next issue, as you noted, is that in the address you're attempting to use a road that isn't mapped.  You need to get the road added first, then attempt to add the business(es) along it.

If after fixing those issues you're still not able to add the feature then I'd suggest you try to get their phone number to increase the accuracy.

2) Arts and Crafts Shop n.2

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); still in business (opened 2014)

Coordinates: 42.344143, 13.643664 (please note, the map does not show any street name at these coordinates, although the street name is mentioned in this entry of the regional shops register)

Example 2, Gran Sasso.jpg

The same recommendations apply here; get the street mapped first and then try to get the phone number.

4) Historical Landmark n.1

Visited: August 2016 (proof a picture here); badly damaged by the 2009 earthquake (see here), not fully destroyed but being rebuilt.

Coordinates:  42.343916, 13.644166 

Example 3, Gran Sasso.jpg

As previously mentioned, if this was destroyed and has yet to be reconstructed, it would not qualify to be on the map.

Once it is reconstructed, it needs the street corrected to the actual road it's on.  If it is open to the public then getting the phone number for the place will help with verification.

The following, on the contrary, is still pending while it was not applied when I first added it in 2016:

4) Wool Shop n.1

Added: August 2016, not applied; April 2017, pending; May 2017, pending (see screenshots below) - maybe because I used ''wool shop'' as category and not ''arts and craft shop'' ?

Visited: August 2016 (proof a pair of wool socks, sorry for not posting any pictures; still in business (see Facebook page posts)

Coordinates:  42.343453, 13.644157

Example 4, Gran Sasso.jpg

Your edit is pending, you simply must wait for it to be reviewed; there is nothing unusual happening here.

I would suggest that you should reread the post to which you were previously directed, it talks about the difficulties Google has verifying features that have minimal information which can be confirmed.  Your submissions mostly have just a correct name and correct category; but otherwise don't have any other valid information which then makes confirmation extremely difficult.  As stated in that post, improving the data will improve your success rate.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages