Port's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Local language name in English field

Hi,

Most of the point of interest in my country Yemen have their Arabic name in the English field.

The problem when you use google map in Arabic POI names doesn't show up in the map only I think the category.

Should we fix this problem?

Any Idea?

Regards,

Port.

Sana'a, Yemen
15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Local language name in English field

Hello @Port,

The feature shows up fine for me when I use Maps in English and I search Grocery Store.

Again, not everything shows all the time.  You just do not realize how many POIs are not showing because of their hidden status.  The map has too many things to show all at once.

It is completely up to you whether you want to spend time fixing such places.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @Port 

Warm welcome to Local Guides Connect Community.

This is our duty to edit my Country's Maps.

You should to edit Maps to help your people.

In the video I have presented how I contributed in desktop version and app version of Google map taking advantage of multilinguality.

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 9

Hi,

Thank you for the video that explain how to change the google map language. but it didn't address the point i am talking about.

Again the problem is local name is in English field where local name should be in local name field and English name should be in the English field.

I hope its clear for all.

Regards,

Port.

Connect Moderator

Hello @Port,

If there is no local language name then the other names will be displayed.  So if only the English language field name is filled in then that field will be displayed.

Keep in mind, though, that no matter what named is filled in; POIs do not always show but rather their visibility will vary depending on who is looking and what search terms are involved.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

Hi @Flash,

I think what google display depend on the language you are using the google map tool. So for example have this point of interest https://goo.gl/maps/FKc4xDUsNnm where the English name is filled while the Arabic filed is null "empty". So if you use google map with Arabic language it will display the translation of the type of the POI.

while if you use the tool in in English it will display nothing.

please try it and let me know if what I think is true or false.

in Addition you didn't answer my main point in first question I asked in this post.

Regards,

Port.

Connect Moderator

Hello @Port,

The feature shows up fine for me when I use Maps in English and I search Grocery Store.

Again, not everything shows all the time.  You just do not realize how many POIs are not showing because of their hidden status.  The map has too many things to show all at once.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @Port,

Connect Moderator

@Flash sometimes it would be very convenient for LGs if there would be something like a 'Local Guide mode' where simply all POIs are shown at the highest zoom level 😀

Now there is hardly any logic detectable: the other day, I was checking out a bar, and when switching to Street View, I noticed that there was another bat next to it, but in satellite view the other one never showed up, no matter what zoom level I used. When then typing the name in the search box, it showed up as existing POI.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

Hi,

in English this is what I seemap maker in English desktopmap maker in English desktopmap maker in Arabic Desktopmap maker in Arabic Desktop

If you have the time @Flash or any one else to show me what you see I will be grateful.

Regards, 

Connect Moderator

So you do have a marker for both.  That is good to see.