YaserA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: How to add Statue

@PaulPavlinovich I know your intentions are good and I think we can all agree that more clear guidelines and explicit policies are needed. As @Pea can tell you, historically there is variance across products and user types (business vs individual, etc). We are undergoing major internal changes around mapping so these updated help center articles will come along with the changes. Whatever debates that happen here, they are even crazier inside Google, haha. 

Level 9
Level 9

@PaulP wrote:

As much as I pushed the limits with @Pea before for good reason (well I think so, he probably does not)

No problem Paul, I actually chuckled at your 'blowing coffee over my monitor' comment above. Loads to learn, we're all here to help each other even though it can sometimes feel a bit nonsensical and frustrating

Connect Moderator

And just think, all of this transpired because @YaserA asked how to add a statue 🙂

Hope we haven't scared you off mate!

Level 9
Level 9

@CorrieD wrote:

-- otherwise we would have Pokemon Gyms and people's houses all over the map 😉 

Hey @Corrie sadly we do have people's houses all over the map, I remove them regularly. The small blessing with this sort of bad mapping is that if a LG adds their own home they'll usually only do it once, or a few times if they add their family and friends.

My wider concern, even with a non-literal adding anything philosophy, relates to things that seem like they should be mapped but can't. Take post boxes for a random example, without basic guidance a LG would think it reasonable to map them, they might spend weeks adding hundreds with a photo for each. Eventually the boxes all get deleted and the LG will have wasted their time and become fairly disillusioned - even more so when they drop several hundred points back to level 1. Hence I suggested a cautionary comment, other LGs will search and read these threads and perhaps draw wrong conclusions. Truth is, many things are not mappable

Level 7

With regards to guidance material I believe a little "What to add" page describing the rules of engagement for LGs would be neat to have. It could even be country specific, like, a checklist of common issues and intel wanted for X location types in Y country. 

Well then again someone needs to police said Google Maps in Y country to see what kind of issues and what kinds of place data is missing. 

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com