Joel-H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How does one repeal an automatic rejection?

Is there a way that the Google moderators here could go in and revise automated decisions? 

I made an edit to a hotel: 

Changed the website from http://www.slh.com/hotels/shangri-la-santa-monica/ to http://www.shangrila-hotel.com/

The slh site looks like a referral page and doesn't seem to be the proper authority page. However, my edit was automatically rejected (I think). 

Can the Google moderators here fix wrongly moderated edits? 

Listing in question: https://goo.gl/maps/sXTfFNdk75C2

Hotel Shangri-La, Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA, United States
23 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How does one repeal an automatic rejection?

The Google Moderators on here are generally mods for the forum, not editors of the map itself. Even if they were, there's no appeal process for failed edits, all people can do is try make the edit again or Send feedback from the map

Having said that I just looked at the hotel in MapMaker and I notice one of the Top Contributors has picked this up and made the edit. It is currently Pending but needs Google moderation - that may take days or weeks, so just hang on and don't try making the edit again. Only one version of the same edit can be approved so, even if this goes thru, another edit from you now would lead to another Not Applied

Level 7

Just to follow up here, while it was true that only one version of an edit was accepted in the MapMaker world, this isn't the case for community edits on Google now. We've tested a few different things, and it seems that when multiple people make the same edit to a single location, that edit will get approved faster. 

Level 10

What I expect you're seeing is some automation that is looking at all pending edits. If it sees a number of users making the exact same edit, the auto-moderator may determine that the edit is correct, and will approve/publish the edit without waiting for a human moderator. This was not possible in Map Maker, which was much more dependent on human moderators.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 7

The place, or listing as you call it, https://goo.gl/maps/sXTfFNdk75C2, is managed in GMaps by a company that is registered in Google My Business.

Google My Business allows that company, Small Luxury Hotels of the World, to in effect "lock" it's GMaps data so that other cannot change it.

Level 7

That's not quite correct. Even listings that have been verified can be edited through community edits. 

Level 10

@Joel-H wrote:

That's not quite correct. Even listings that have been verified can be edited through community edits. 

Sure, but your edit suggestions will be shown in MyBusiness console and has to be approved from owner before go live 😉

Level 7

Yes they appear, but approval isn't necessary before they go live. 

Level 7

@Joel-H@LucioV, thanks for both of your comments, as I now understand better how GMB Dashboards work.

Level 10

@LucioV wrote:

Sure, but your edit suggestions will be shown in MyBusiness console and has to be approved from owner before go live 😉

When an edit is made in Maps, the edit may go live without review. The business owner has no say in the edit until it is published and live.

What appears in the GMB console allows the business owner or their proxy to accept the published edits or "undo" the edits, reverting it to the previous state. GMB staff has the ability of making edits (for standards/compliance reasons, for example) that will not appear in the GMB console, and thus not subject to an owner reverting. 

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States