MarkusKiili's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How do I add fireplace to GoogleMap?

Here in Finland we do have a lot of public fireplaces, but they don't exist on GoogleMap. It would be really nice to add those there because very often they are in very beautiful location. I have found very difficult to find them, because you always need to find right page for on particular area fireplaces. If they would be in GoogleMaps, it would be much easier. 

Markus Kiili
10 comments
Level 7

Re: How do I add fireplace to GoogleMap?

Good Question @MarkusKiili

First Open The Map..

Then Click On Fire Place Location..

It Will Blue Dot Or Your Pin Location..

Now Click On It You Will Find List Of Many Places..

Now Click On Add Missing Place..

Then Select Category..

Click On Blue DotClick On Blue Dot

Now Click On Add A Missing PlaceNow Click On Add A Missing Place

Now Give The name Mark LocationNow Give The name Mark Location

Select Fire Station CategorySelect Fire Station Category

Hope You Like My Answer 😊😊

Local Guide Community

https://plus.google.com/communities/110629468929229262520

Level 7

@Jayeshkiri I know how to do that, but there is no category for fireplaces. Only for shops and manufactures, but not just fireplace. 

Markus Kiili
Level 10

Hi @MarkusKiili what is a fireplace in your country? A public area for picnic and grill? Just asking. 😉

Level 7

Public place where you can go grill sausages. There can be small wooden tee-pee or one side open hut. Like these. 

20160112-_DSC5661.jpgnnpc2015_mk_27122014.jpg

Markus Kiili
Level 9
Level 9

Hi @MarkusKiili

Not everything that exists in real life is necessarily mappable, sometimes when we can't find a suitable category that's a sign that Google doesn't want it added. One thing to remember when adding features to the map is that generally they must have a proper name (eg Starbucks), not a descriptive name (eg Coffee Shop), so unless these fire places have proper names that's another reason they may not be permitted on the base map.

For features you can't add to the base map, a custom map is often a good idea https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Level 8

@MarkusKiili 

here in Germany we have the "Fireplaces" in Maps but they are descriptet as "Barbecue" perhaps you must search for another description.

Best regards

Walter

Walter Sanders
Level 10

You can always try to change Google Maps app language, and try to add something that makes sense in another language: often categories are not synced through countries.

To have an idea of current categories in different countries, have a look to this post: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Official-Category-list/m-p/218587

In another thread I was investigating a workaround, for some kind of categories that are available in a country and not in another: just change the Google maps settings and try to edit using another country category list: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Using-different-languages-interface-for-cat...

So @WalterSanders suggestion of "barbecue" could work.

Level 7

I'm using Finnish version, but can I change language? I have tried multiple words, but can't find the word in Finnish.

Markus Kiili
Level 10

@MarkusK wrote:

I'm using Finnish version, but can I change language? I have tried multiple words, but can't find the word in Finnish.

Could be a workaround. It's still not approved by Google Moderators, but i raised the question in Mapping Your World board: so try to search for something similar in another country, and look if it fits!