Jake08's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Duplicate places

What is the mechanism by which Google reviews duplicate place edits? I’ve noticed they don’t appear in my list of edits and I’m skeptical as to whether they’re even dealt with. Anyone else feel similarly?

12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Duplicate places

Hello @Jake08,

Marking a duplicate does not appear in your list of edits because it is not an edit; rather it is a request for a human to review and analyze the situation.

Places on the map have feeds from the main data sources Google uses into them.  When duplicates occur a human that can see all the backend data must judge which of the POIs to maintain as the main POI and then merge the other(s) into it.  In that way the feeds of the duplicate become feeds into the main POI.

Because it is a request for human intervention the queue can get quite long.  Even after the request reaches the top of the queue and the merge is initiated, that process can take many weeks.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 7

Hello @Jake08

From what I understand the duplicate place if it has nothing on it ( Reviews and photos ) is just deleted.

Though if it does have reviews and photos which some do , it will be merged with the other POI ( the older one ).

FYI = They do deal with them though it can take time.

Level 7

Thanks @GenerolHavoc

In those cases, is it recommended to tag both places as duplicates, or only those which we think should be removed?

Level 7

@Jake08

Tag the one you believe is the newer created POI duplicate ( the one with the less reviews / photos / information general gives it away ).

Furthermore some duplicates may not be duplicates if found at other addresses, they could be branches of the same company though some could be the old location for the business or the old name of the Business I.E Thorton Graphic and TG embroidery is one I had.

So always check by either going to the site or ringing the place.

FYI = I've found 7 + duplicates this way.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @Jake08,

Marking a duplicate does not appear in your list of edits because it is not an edit; rather it is a request for a human to review and analyze the situation.

Places on the map have feeds from the main data sources Google uses into them.  When duplicates occur a human that can see all the backend data must judge which of the POIs to maintain as the main POI and then merge the other(s) into it.  In that way the feeds of the duplicate become feeds into the main POI.

Because it is a request for human intervention the queue can get quite long.  Even after the request reaches the top of the queue and the merge is initiated, that process can take many weeks.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

@Flash

Well, so it is possible to merge a GM-business POI with a duplicate-POI and save all the reviews and photos.

Connect Moderator

Yes, the two places can be merged.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

Yes, the two places can be merged.

The 2 duplicated places can be merged, but just only Google Maps Team can do that action, and not for any Local Guide, right @Flash?

Thanks you.

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017
Connect Moderator

Hello @ThanhLan,

That is correct.

Local Guides can mark one of the two places for deletion as a duplicate.  Doing so sends a request to have a Google employee facilitate the actual merge.

Level 10

We love some day that Google Team can give us the right to merge 2 duplicated places together. 

Any, thank you so much. @Flash

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017