ChumingS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Coffee Shop Category was wrongly displayed as Coffee Store with shopping icon

For twice, I updated the Category as "Coffee Shop" but it is displayed wrongly as "Coffee Store". I had reported the bug via App. By the way, I had updated the place to "YFL Coffee House" instead of the wrong name "YFL Coffee Shop".

As per email, Category was successfully changed to "Coffee Shop"As per email, Category was successfully changed to "Coffee Shop"In Google Map, Category was wrongly showed as "Coffee Store"In Google Map, Category was wrongly showed as "Coffee Store"I

YFL Coffee Shop Singapore
7 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 0

@ChumingS wrote:

For twice, I updated the Category as "Coffee Shop" but it is displayed wrongly as "Coffee Store". I had reported the bug via App.

What does the category say if you open this url https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/YFL+Coffee+House/@1.3652738,103.9074173,15z/

Level 9

Re: Coffee Shop Category and Icon on Map

From map.google.co.uk, the category is correct but its icon map is still wrong to show a shopping bag. The correct icon should be a coffee cup.

YLF - UK - Reply 1.1.jpgYLF - UK - Reply 1.2.jpg

Level 9
Level 9

The terms shop/store really mean the same thing as far as categorisation is concerned. As you see, though it says store for you, on a .co.uk url the same place says shop - because that's the word Brits use rather than store. Editing the category from Coffee Store to Coffee Shop won't make any difference, the database saves it as store and displays it differently depending on the audience.

This place was previously categorised as 'Clothing store' as recently as 26 February, I should imagine that's the reason the icon is a shopping bag. We can't control icons but I would expect it will eventually change to a cup now that the category is Coffee Store

Level 9

@PhilipF wrote:

The terms shop/store really mean the same thing as far as categorisation is concerned. As you see, though it says store for you, on a .co.uk url the same place says shop - because that's the word Brits use rather than store. Editing the category from Coffee Store to Coffee Shop won't make any difference, the database saves it as store and displays it differently depending on the audience.

This place was previously categorised as 'Clothing store' as recently as 26 February, I should imagine that's the reason the icon is a shopping bag. We can't control icons but I would expect it will eventually change to a cup now that the category is Coffee Store

Hi PhilipF, I do not really agreed with you. In Singapore, Coffee Shop (also known as Kopi Tiam) serves ready-made beverage and local food which are for immediate consumption. It does not sell coffee beans or sugars for you to make coffee at home. Hence, you cannot interpret from a single dictionary word only. Secondly, how to explain when the icon of other Coffee Shops is a coffee cup icon and not a shopping bag icon? Thirdly, Coffee Store is not selectable category in map.google.com.sg. Is it an expected behaviour in Google Map when what you see is not what you get? Fourthly, the icon does matter as Google Map would ask me shopping related questions which are not applicable for a place which sells ready-made beverage and local food.

Level 10

Re: Coffee Shop Category was wrongly displayed as Coffee Store with shopping icon

It's showing as "Coffee Shop" for me now.

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Level 9

Re: Coffee Shop Category was wrongly displayed as Coffee Store with shopping icon

Negative, Julien. It is still showing Coffee Store with a shopping icon

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/place/YFL+Coffee+House/

@Julien wrote:

It's showing as "Coffee Shop" for me now.

Level 10

Pretty sure I saw it as Coffee Shop the other day but now it is also showing Coffee Store for me. Unable to change it. I think both names are aliases.

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps