kinocksebastian's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Any Idea How To Inform Google Map Team About State Border Marked Wrongly ?

I know a place in google map where Kerala - Tamilnadu Border is marked incorrectly. I informed this to google business team as many business are getting affected by this. But they gave me a cold response. One lady was very rude to me for informing this. Then I notified google legal team. Both the team said they informed to map team but still its incorrectly marked in google map. But all other map has the border marked correctly. I informed this to the teams 6 months back. But nothing has changed yet. Does anyone know how to inform Google Maps team about this ? Many businesses over here is getting affected by this.

Bodimettu, Theni, Tamil Nadu, India
11 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Any Idea How To Inform Google Map Team About State Border Marked Wrongly ?

Hey @kinocksebastian,

If ever you come across an item in Google Maps which raises a red flag, you do have the ability to report the content. Check out this post in order to learn more. 

Just so you know, I'll be moving your message to the "Mapping your World" board for cohesiveness. 

In the future, searching the Community before making a new topic will usually guide you toward the answer you're looking for.

Hope this helps. Happy mapping!

Level 5

@ArielleM_

I know this feature exists and I reported this with relevant screen shot. Even couple of my friends who are google local guides did the same. But still there is no change. Please note that its not the case where I asking a question here without trying anything. I tried contacting every team that is contactable and every options they suggested. @

Hey @kinocksebastian,

No problem - I understand it can be frustrating when an edit is not applied right away and I know you've been dealing with this issue for some time. I trust that you've done your diligence; I'm simply providing some pointers in case you needed additional guidance :). This post may help further explain pending updates and edits to Google Maps. I'd say, don't give up; Google Maps evolves every single day. The more it changes, the more likely it is for an edit to apply.

Always here to help. Good luck!

Level 10

Thanks @ArielleM_, for sharing valuable guidelines. Also thanks to @kinocksebastian

Connect Moderator

Hello @JohnPeter

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid @ArielleM_ might be misunderstanding your issue.  There is no way to report such an issue within Maps.  I'm not sure what process you used 6 months ago, but it would have had to be through a process that was not intended to take such reports and thus would not have been processed.

Can you please explain more?  I see from where you placed your marker on the map that you appear to be in Tamil Nadu.  Is this not what is coming up when you try to sign up with GMB?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Googler

Hi everyone. The best place to report any issues with the base data of Google Maps is indeed by sharing feedback within Google Maps as @ArielleM_ suggested though we can help to get extra eyes on an issue that may have incorrect data. 

@kinocksebastian If you share more details as @Flash requested, we'd be happy to pass this along to the Google Maps team as well, noting you've already shared the feedback, but information such as the following will help both us to share your feedback as well as for you to share the feedback:

• what you're seeing (and any screenshots) and where (is it on maps.google.com, in an app, etc.)
  • what you think you should be seeing and why (any government resources)

Thanks, everyone. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 5

@Flash@TraciC

Thank you for you prompt reply.

The Location that I have added now is a business in Bodimettu. Bodimettu is small town which is shared by both Kerala And Tamilnadu states. The location which i have tagged should be in Kerala. Since the border is marked wrongly in google maps if some one check google map the resort is shown in Tamilnadu. They are getting listed in different states in booking.com and other 

Online Travel Agents. Ideally the border should be to the right side of Shola Crown. I am attaching 7 screen shots and explanation for each picture with respect to its caption. "The Case ID for this issue is 9-8401000018794 for future reference." this is the case id generated by google business team for this issue. Initially i was in talk with a person called Kashish, he was at the least polite and helpful. Then after 4 month when i followed up as Kashish said wait for 3 months for the change to happen, I got connected to someone called Ambika she was very rude and impolite. Then I send mail to google legal team. They just send a mail saying they have notified google maps team.

The issue here is this business is getting affected since the border is marked incorrectly. People think they are in Tamilnadu and they are reluctant to book the rooms, since they are looking for a stay in Kerala Rain Forest. Even taxi drivers are reluctant to take the guests to shola crown saying they in tamilnadu and they need additional money for taking RT taxes. Travel agents are also refusing to associate with them as when guests check google map they are in tamilnadu and not in kerala. One small business is suffering because of google map issue. But no one seems to be bothered about this, I am after this for last 6 months. I can share the screen shots of mails that i have send to google teams. That's why i thought i will open this issue here. 

1. FSSAI_LICENSE has also business address and mentions that the business is in kerala idukki dist. FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
  2. PANCHAYAT_LICENSE  is the details of buidling number and where business is located, From Shanthapara grama panchayat kerala.
  3. NOC_PANCHAYAT is the No Objection Certificate issued by Shanthan Para Grama Panchayat which certifies we are in Kerala.
  4. MAP_QUEST is the screen of mapquest.com where border is marked properly.
  5. MAP_24 is the screen shot of herewego map where border is marked correctly.
  6. PANCHAYAT_ENGLISH : It is the english version of panchayat document.
  7. GOOGLE MAP ISSUE : This is the screen shot of google map where border is marked incorrectly.

NOC_PANCHAYATNOC_PANCHAYATPANCHAY_LICENSEPANCHAY_LICENSEFSSAI_LICENSEFSSAI_LICENSE

Google_Map_IssueGoogle_Map_IssueMAP_24MAP_24MAP_QUESTMAP_QUESTPANCHAYAT_ENGLISHPANCHAYAT_ENGLISH

Please let me know if you require any additional information. Thank you .

@kinocksebastian - Thanks for this information. I will share it with the appropriate teams for further investigation. As it is an issue of state borders, this may take some time to review and/or confirm.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 5

@BruceDM Thank you. If possible please give me an update on whats happening and if you require any other information ?